Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
bamafrankie
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be removing my front wheel this weekend to replace the tire and to try to repair the speedo drive. What the recommended grease and is there a procedure on the forum for the task. Need the speedo fixed don't need any tickets. Thanks alot

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Uh, bearing grease??

Aren't the wheel bearings sealed bearings and "ungreasable"??
Mine are on the 800, not sure about the 750's

53K on my sealed ones, never an issue.

Kenny

·
Registered
137 Posts
i just replaced my front tire, no need to do anything with the bearings. You will want to put some grease on the spedometer gear if taking it apart. I put the bike on center stand, pushed the back down and placed a 4x4 piece of wood under the frame to keep the front up.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I know the bearings are sealed but...have any of you all ever popped that little seal out to see what is in there? I have and i really don't know how the last as long as they do.

After going through bearings faster than I thought I should on an atv, I took the seal out of a new bearing and there is actually very little grease in those sealed bearings,I packed it with wheel bearing grease and and popped the seal back in it and no more problem.

I know the atv saw more severe duty than a bike does but I still do it to every new sealed bearing I buy,The little red seal pops out without damage and back in easily as well.This may be overkill but it makes me feel better. :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I just spread a lil lithium (white) grease on the axle and bearing surfaces (read :"paint")....but they are not greaseable...hit all of the contact points and thats enough....check for excessive play...replace if ya got it....they dont cost much....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I just spread a lil lithium (white) grease on the axle and bearing surfaces (read :"paint")....but they are not greaseable...hit all of the contact points and thats enough....check for excessive play...replace if ya got it....they dont cost much....
Not designed to be greasable would be more appropriate here,I am not advocating taking old worn bearings apart and greasing them just stating what I have actually done to new bearings.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
It most definitely CAN be done, and Ive done it also...but after removing the dust seals, one really needs to clean the balls and races well...also, once the dust seals are gone, the grease inside will tend to migrate outwards (not always a bad thing), but can cause a lil mess if overgreased...(80% of people tend to overgrease)....just sayin though, with the cost of new bearings, is it really worth it ?...And just for all's info....no need to buy beartings from a dealer at 5x the cost....get the number and check places like Grainger....I should get a box of 100 and give em out to you guys for Christmas presents, lol....theyre probably like $40 per 100....dealer ????

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It most definitely CAN be done, and Ive done it also...but after removing the dust seals, one really needs to clean the balls and races well...also, once the dust seals are gone, the grease inside will tend to migrate outwards (not always a bad thing), but can cause a lil mess if overgreased...(80% of people tend to overgrease)....just sayin though, with the cost of new bearings, is it really worth it ?...And just for all's info....no need to buy beartings from a dealer at 5x the cost....get the number and check places like Grainger....I should get a box of 100 and give em out to you guys for Christmas presents, lol....theyre probably like $40 per 100....dealer ????
I do it to new bearings ,I guess I don't have enough trust in my fellow man's dedication to quality work.Especially when my butt is the one that is riding on it :)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
This is true too, lol....when I used to race flattrack, before the sealed bearing days, I had a fron seize up on me....was in 2nd place too !....damn !

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Denny, some of the guys I rode ATVs with would drill through outer cover and twist a grease fitting in there. They just gave them a shot once in a while.

Bearings are cheap here, we have Bearing Distributors, they can match up anything for bearings and seals as long as you have the number on the side of the bearing, or the pieces that they can measure. A bearing that is usually $15-20, they sell for $4-7. I get all my atv, mower deck, and other bearings there. Back when Suzuki wanted big bucks for theirs we got them for $12.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone. I just had to share some of my experience here. I have been an industrial mechanic for the past 20 years and have done many studies on this very subject. Many advancements have been made in the bearing analysis field in the last ten years or so. Bearings that are lubricated using "grease" when over greased are more proned to fail than ones that are under greased. Over greasing causes bearings to get hot and fail. Sealed bearings such as those used on our bikes are not made to be regreased and removing, or damaging the seals allows contaminates into the bearing and destroys them. I am constantly correcting my lube techs on this very subject. Sorry to sound so uptight, but using a good quality bearing is a much better option that might just save a life. Google bearing vibration analysis and lubrication. You will see how advanced the field has gotten over the last few years.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Many advancements have been made in the bearing analysis field in the last ten years or so. Bearings that are lubricated using "grease" when over greased are more proned to fail than ones that are under greased. Over greasing causes bearings to get hot and fail.
This is gospel, folks.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Was always told too much grease attracts dirt causing the bearing to fail but have watched u tube videos encouraging adding grease.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
This is gospel, folks.
Yes very true.. and also over greasing causes seals to fail... which in turn allows grease inside.. just replaced 4 wheel bearings on a truck today because the operator over greased the wheel bearings on his trailer causing the seals to come apart and let dust and debris into the bearings... thus causing the bearings to over heat and seize them selves onto the spindles... a 1 hour job ended up taking most of the day as I remachined the spindles and drums to accept oversized bearings.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm trying to put my front wheel back on. I can't remember if there is one or two spacers that go back on. I only have one. It goes on the right side correct?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts