Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here checked to see if the splines on their 06 Vulcan came with factory grease? I was just wondering because I just purchased a 06 last month and I am reading alot about drive shaft spline failures. I dont want a big suprise down the road.
The dealer sure as hell wont take it apart to check if it had been greased at the factory without charging me a ton of cash. Do you think that it would be wise of me to check for grease myself while the bike is still under warrentee?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I haven't heard of problems with the 2006 but for peace of mind wouldn't it be worth the hour or two to check it?

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
I just did my 93, zero on the front, some kind of grease on the rear.
Cleaned up the rear, Moly 60 on everything now.
I feel better.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I'm not positive but I might have read where someone on the yahoo forum with an 06 had no grease, but at my age, I might have day dreamed it up. It's not hard to check it. Worth every minute.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
DachWuff said:
I just got an 06 as well, let me know if you check I'm not sure I can do it myself so want to know if I'm going to have to take it down.
If there is even any doubt, check it. Very easy to do, won't take more than two hours start to finish. Local Honda dealer has tube of Moly60 for $10. Donate an old toothbrush to the cause.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You can do this without taking off your pipes, contrary to some of the writeups I've read. It really isn't a difficult thing to do, and no expert mechanical skills are needed. Tools needed: Torque wrench, 27mm socket and regular metric socket set, and possibly a braker bar, (I use my pipe handle from my floor jack slipped over my 1/2" craftsman drive as a braker bar) to get that rear axel nut loose, and I keep a bag of cotter pins handy as you should replace the pin on the axel nut. You'll likely need a 2x12 or 2x6 to put the center stand on to get the rear tire high enough to remove it. I removed my license plate and had plenty of room to remove the rear wheel with tire still inflated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
fergy said:
You can do this without taking off your pipes, contrary to some of the writeups I've read. It really isn't a difficult thing to do, and no expert mechanical skills are needed. Tools needed: Torque wrench, 27mm socket and regular metric socket set, and possibly a braker bar, (I use my pipe handle from my floor jack slipped over my 1/2" craftsman drive as a braker bar) to get that rear axel nut loose, and I keep a bag of cotter pins handy as you should replace the pin on the axel nut. You'll likely need a 2x12 or 2x6 to put the center stand on to get the rear tire high enough to remove it. I removed my license plate and had plenty of room to remove the rear wheel with tire still inflated.
Yeah but I aint got a torque wrench or decent socket set =P Gonna cure that in a couple weeks when i can afford a trip to sears/OSH.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Yeah, it really is an easy job & very much recommended. I learned the hard & expensive way on my 93 around 6 years ago. Was riding along one day & suddenly there was lots of noise & no drive! I was just over the Scottish border & 450 miles from home. Spent the rest of the day in a tow truck! Fortunately I have Europe-wide breakdown cover so it didn't cost me anything to get home but I sure could have done without the hassle. Ruined my vacation too. I clean & grease my splines every time I take the rear wheel out for a tire change now. Well worth the effort.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Doing mine tomorrow. Hey fergy, I'll take some pics for the final part and email them to you for inclusion in your pictorial.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The check of the final drive is now complete. I was one of the lucky ones, mine were greased. I did put some more in though as I figure it can't hurt. The test ride went well and no leaks developed. I can now rest easy knowing that at least this part won't fail from lack of lube.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.