Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good suggestion for a not too expensive GPS unit for the 750? Just wondering if anyone uses one and how they mounted it to the bike. Saw a buddies Garmin unit and he has it mounted to the handlebar mounts with a swivel ball post he got off of ebay. Doesn't seem to me to be to solid after it is mounted on the ball. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Jay

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Someone on the Yahoo group posted they were getting this unit:
http://tinyurl.com/6hnapr

And were looking for a mount.

I suggested they use this:

http://tinyurl.com/4gs7lw

I have a Zumo 550...an "expensive" unit, and have no problems using RAM mounts. The ones on ebay sound like knock-offs and I doubt I would trust them.

Mine uses a RAM ball that I bolted to the mirror stem mount and does not move.
Do note that the Zumo was built for motorcycles, and most other units are built for cars. Hence, the unit above is likely not waterproof, and that is why I suggested using the Aqua box.

The others on the market meant for cars can use the same mount if they fit.

Bulldog found a fairly inexpensive GPS that seems to work well, you might want to do a search for it.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
And I have now had the Garmin Nuvi 200 for a bit so I will give an up date on my opinion... I mount it on the gas tank via the suction cup that came with the unit and did epoxy a small metal tab with a hole in it for a string which I tied a knot in and lay under the rear of the unlocked gas tank lid, then latch the lid down... It has only come loose once but the string caught it... It did viberate a tad till I put the dash mount disc on the tank, now it dosen't viberate nor has not come loose... I think it is going to hold that way fine, maybe even better than some of the cycle mounts... I am not hardwired so I must depend on the built in battery which is claimed to last up to 5 hrs., which of course is UP TO... I do think it will last 3 hrs. with the LCD light turned up bright and the volume mutted... I just wish you could put more than 1 via point in for it to follow... The cigar lighter plug has a voltage reducer built in that reduces the voltage from 12 to 5v or I would hardwire it also... I kinda like it for the money and size, $168.?? at china-mart but cheaper on the net... (+/-$145)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I picked up a Nuvi 200 Blue at BestBuy yesterday $170 and an online coupon for $50 off. Nice unit for the money. I stuck it on the tank temporarily with Velcro until I can figure out a better mount. I also wired a cigarette lighter receptacle into the accessory leads under the side cover for power.

My plan was to buy a second Nuvi cord and just leave it plugged in under the side cover, but I noticed that the accessory leads are "hot" even if the bike is off.

Anyone have a suggestion on how or where to add a switch to shut-off the accessory leads.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Doe not the Nuvi have an on/off switch?

My Zumo is wired directly to the battery. Thus I can use it when the bike is not running. I can turn it off with it's own switch. And if I were to leave the bike for any amount of time I would be taking the unit with me anyway to keep it from being stolen.

So not sure why you would not want to use the "Allways hot" wires....

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Yes the NUVI 200 has an off switch, but I believe he wants to cut the power from the accessory leads off... I mounted a toggle switch on the front of the side cover to cut mine off, and also mounted an in line 3A fuse in the hot wire... Thanks to those on here that gave some good advise, all is well... Did about as KM said...
Mine is suction cupped to the gas tank next to the cap with a nylon cord with a knot under the gas cap, latched down with the cap... I mounted the dash disk on the tank and have had no problem so far...:)... I am a digital dummy, so I can't post pictures...:(... (Note---The NUVI 200 is NOT waterproof) Except of course when you put it in a freezer bag...:smiley_th...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes the NUVI 200 has an off switch, but I believe he wants to cut the power from the accessory leads off... I mounted a toggle switch on the front of the side cover to cut mine off, and also mounted an in line 3A fuse in the hot wire... Thanks to those on here that gave some good advise, all is well... Did about as KM said
Yes KM is correct, the Nuvi does have an on/off switch. Like Old Dog said the but the cigarette adapter plug uses power, probably no much but the red led does stay on. I wanted to kill the power to the accessory leads, so I can leave the adapter plugged in inside the side cover.

I'll look around for a waterproof toggle switch for the side cover.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I got my toggle switch at Advance Auto, it was pretty cheap but I don't think it is waterproof... I just drilled the hole in the side plate front on the little flat where it is out of the way...

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I have the garmin quest on mine, hardwired with a ram mount to the handle bars.. rock solid. got the quest for 100 and change off ebay last year. It's small, waterproof and does everything I need. Love it, and it solved my pesky problem of where to put a clock!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I have a Rihno...Got it for free, and it rides in my pocket...i don't have any accessories for it to hard wire it...maybee i should look into that

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am looking at a Garmin StreetPilot 2730 (older model discontinued). It still uses essentially the same mapping programs; however, the distinct advantage is it comes with a satellite radio receiver. I was planning to install a sat radio, so this is two pieces combined into one. Can't beat that with a stick.

There are newer versions of the GPS unit which also have the sat receiver, but they do not come with the GXM 30 antenna. Unfortunately, the antenna alone is right at $200. I have researched the antenna and it is my understanding that the GXM 30 is really the complete sat. radio system and just sends the information through the GPS Unit. Because of that, I don't think I can get a new model GPS and then add an inexpensive sat. radio antenna. The unit requires the Garmin GXM 30 Smart Antenna.

That having been said, the StreetPilot 2730 comes with the antenna so is worth the effort for me to find one. I am watching several of them on ebay right now, waiting to make a bid when the auctions get nearer the end. There is also a "buy it now" unit for $289. All else fails, that one will be mine.

I will most like buy a handlebar "Ram" mount for the unit once I get it. My intent is to hardwire it to the battery through the Garmin Motorcycle Mount kit. As an aside, the 2730 is also claimed to be motorcycle friendly by Garmin. It is supposed to be able to stand up to the vibration of riding and the rain.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
.......have researched the antenna and it is my understanding that the GXM 30 is really the complete sat. radio system and just sends the information through the GPS Unit. Because of that, I don't think I can get a new model GPS and then add an inexpensive sat. radio antenna. The unit requires the Garmin GXM 30 Smart Antenna...................

As an aside, the 2730 is also claimed to be motorcycle friendly by Garmin. It is supposed to be able to stand up to the vibration of riding and the rain.
Correct, the GXM is in fact the reciever and simply uses the GPS for display and controll.

The 2730 is a decent unit and many still use it. Software updates are available if you need them from Garmin. Map updates however will have to be bought, as Garmin uses maps created by another company. I think the last update was just released, and costs like 60 bucks. I have not yet bothered to update the map, as it still works well...
I have the XM radio with Traffic and Weather, this is actualy pretty neat, as it warns you of traffic problems and gives you warnings of severe weather. This costs another 40 bucks a year on top of the XM radio service price, but I think it is worth it. (Saved me a two hour delay once and it will warn you of rain along your route)

Just a note here, some vendors on Ebay are selling "reconditioned units" which are NOT covered by Garmin support or warrenty. So if the price looks too good to be true, you might end up with a unit that you can not update.

KM

·
Registered
119 Posts
Correct, the GXM is in fact the reciever and simply uses the GPS for display and controll.

Just a note here, some vendors on eBay are selling "reconditioned units" which are NOT covered by Garmin support or warranty. So if the price looks too good to be true, you might end up with a unit that you can not update.

KM
Actually, the ones on eBay I was watching all sold and I missed out. I did manage to find one on Amazon for the same price. It is "factory refurbished" and is from a Garmin authorized dealer; therefore, claims to carry the 1 year manufacturer warranty.

I almost bought the 2820 (same unit as 2730 except with Bluetooth), but the more I researched, the more it seemed I would have a hard time effectively using the bluetooth function.

It seems that the bluetooth links up a bluetooth headset, but finding a bluetooth headset that will fit into a M/C helmet is difficult. The SCALA Rider will accomplish this, but it only has about 6 hours of "talk" time. After playing music along the rides, that 6 hours won't last long. I would really like to have a unit that is wired to the helmet, but can link bluetooth for complete handsfree calls to phone AND into the Chatterbox. However, it seems the units can have a stereo headset, but to wire the mic in is a second line that has to run into my helmet. I cannot find a headset with mic (for phone service) that is compatible with the set up of the GPS units. It is either bluetooth or nothing.

I chose nothing. After all, the point of riding is to leave the phone behind anyway. It just makes it a bit worrisome when I am on-call and have to keep checking the phone to see if the Dept called while I was riding.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
First I must point out that the 6 hours of talk time for the Scala Rider is a low estimate, and that of course is "operation time" meaning if you are not on the phone, you are not wearing down the batteries.

We had the Teamset and it functioned fine for awhile but then the intercom crapped out. Likely not indicitive of the units as I know several folks you use them and have no problems. That said, the Bluetooth worked great with the phone and the GPS...and still does.

I am however going to go to a Starcom unit or one from Baehr. They carry cables that allows me still use the Bluetooth through the GPS and have trues stereo for music. They also have connectors that allow me to use my own headphones instead of in helmet speakers. Which IMHO is the only way to go.

From what I understand , there are some True Stereo Bluetooth headsets available, but you need to have either a stereo transmitter for your music devices or they have to have them built in.

This said, the Autocom/Starcom/Baehr has options that accomplish much of the same things without you needing to have a bluetooth GPS.

My Zumo also has a MP-3 player and the XM radio, so my quest is to have everything in stereo.

But the Scala rider works well and unless you plan on riding all day and night I think the battery life is not an issue.

KM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts