Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

I tend to get lost a lot, being a relatively new rider/driver and all, and would like to know if anyone uses any motorcycle GPS navigation systems on their VN? I'm trying to stay below about $500. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My wife and I each have Garmins (C330 & Nuvi 360) in our crayes and like them. I believe Garmin makes on just for bikes. The Garmin is intutive to use and does quite well on routing. We take the Nuvi in the MH as it has speciality routing. My 330 was < $200 on ebay and and the Nuvi was under $300. Check out Garmins web site for more info.

·
Registered
668 Posts
hey man,
I use my GPS a lot. I have two different ways for it.
The first is to use my PDA, it's a Dell AXIM X51v plus a Holux GPSlim 240 bluetooth receiver. All i have to do is upload map ( Microsoft Streets and Trips) on it and there we go.
the second is to use my Moto Q and of course the Holux 240.
Both of them works very well.
Only thing i don't like about the Moto Q is that sometimes i lose signal from my phone carrier and the "uploading" on map is down.
The dell Axim doesn't do that since all the maps are already preloaded on the device.
All i had to by is the GPS receiver $79.99 on ebay...for the PDA my dear wife bought it for me last year for my bday. for the Moto Q there no extra fee for that...just my monthly rate with my phone provider.
The cool part is you can have a satellite view of where u are "live"....or hybrid view or both...just live Windows Live Map or Google Map.
I hope you got a lil idea with this.....

Good Luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use a Garmin 60CS with a RAM mount with handlebar adapter. This is a handheld mapping GPS (turn-by-turn prompts) with a color screen large enough to see well and it transfers very nicely between the bike, the car, and hiking/backpacking.

After mounting it on the motorcycle, I found the real benefit is to "see through" corners, leaving my riding buddies wondering how the hell I go so fast through the twisties. With the scale on 500 ft or 800 ft, the moving map gives me a constant visual preview of the exit profile of each corner. That really changes the game if you want to go fast.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Kinda hijacking the thread... Kinda not...

I'm kinda considering picking up a GPS unit on Friday. I figure if I get something for a smoking price I can make it work (I also want one for my current job - cleaning carpets - which requires finding addresses every day).

Both the TomTom One V3($125) (which doesn't have an earpiece port) and The Navigon 2100T ($99) are on sale for smoking prices at staples on good ol Black Friday - and for $125 and $99 out the door respectively, I can figure out a mount for the bike...

If anyone has experience with either (or another unit that'll be less than $150 Out the door) - lemme know.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Tom-Tom is a nice unit--just not as user friendly as the Garmin.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I use a hand-held GPS from Magellan (the "Meridian"), and strap it to the bike via a cup holder.

This gives me the extra flexibility to use a GPS away from the bike, after I reach my destination (for hiking, etc).

If you are seriously in the market for a GPS unit (and are interested in a handheld model)--don't buy one that doesn't have a color screen (this format is much easier to read than shades of grey/black), or the capability to download info to a PC (via USB) for archiving.....:smiley_th

Make sure you are comfortable with the unit's expected battery life between charges/new batteries, too! The newer ones can go at least 14 hours or so, I think.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
The Tom Tom and Navigon? are not waterproof...I'd try fiinding a reconditioned Garmin 2610 or 296.(for under $500) for under $150? waste of money as most you can't use while on the bike, and the maps will be limited.

I have a Zumo 550...yeah, $$$$$$$$...but it is also my MP3 player, telephone "receptionist" , XM radio and weather station , and my "I will never ever be lost again" device.
Most Garmin units are waterproof, and update-able.

I love my Zumo...but you should be able to find one of the above for less...
KM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Features to consider when choosing a GPS for a bike:

- Operates flawlessly with motorcycle gloves (touchscreen and largely spaced buttons)
- Screen must be easily readable during very bright sunlight around noon time (store light is not the same a sun light)
- Reliability under extreme outdoor environment (severe vibration, extended heat from the sun and freezing cold from the wind)
- Rain proof or can be used while covered in a ziplock bag

I've been successfully using the same Garmin Street Pilot 2610 for the last 3-4 years on all my bikes and cars with various RAM Mounts. It was around $500-600 back then but should be cheaper by now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been using a Garmin Street Pilot III for both the bike and my big SUV. It's waterproof, has a screen that's readable in sunlight, resists vibrations, you can operate it with gloves on, and you can program it with your computer. Garmin doesn't make that model any more, but good ones can be won on E-bay for around 100 dollars.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I have a garmin quest on my bike with a powered ram mount hooked to the battery.. LOVE IT.. sits right above the handlebar bolts so you can still see lights and gauges. I got mine "lightly used" on ebay for 95 bucks, or you can get a re-furbed for 150 ish.. powered ram mount for it was 50 ish I believe. pops on and off the bike (ram mount stays) in seconds. You can plot your routes through the backroads on your PC then download them to the unit and your off and riding not having to worry about missing that un-named side road.. did I say LOVE IT!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm probably going to end up getting either the Garmin Quest or a Garmin Zumo. Can't wait to cruise the backroads.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
And I (the thread hijacker) ended up getting a magellan maestro 3100 - nope, it's not water resistant but it was cheap ($129 at K-mart on turkey day). I have a general idea of how I'll work up a mount for the bike, but I'll tell ya that it does great in the car. Main purpose of it is for my job (cleaning carpets) so I don't get AS lost - but I'll figure out a mount for the bike so that I can take it on this summer's roadtrips (right now is the "utility" season for the bike... not so much the "ride for the hell of it" season).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts