Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I ride with my Garmin NUVI - held tightly in my RAM mount - until the battery dies out (which doesn't take long).

What's involved in getting juice to my Garmin? Right now I recharge it by attaching it to my car's cigarette lighter or to my computer (via USB cable). What's the best way to get power from my bike battery?

I can't imagine this would put much strain on the Vulcan's weak electrical system, although I have already added a couple of low-wattage LED Motolights.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Right now I ride with my Garmin NUVI - held tightly in my RAM mount - until the battery dies out (which doesn't take long).

What's involved in getting juice to my Garmin? Right now I recharge it by attaching it to my car's cigarette lighter or to my computer (via USB cable). What's the best way to get power from my bike battery?

I can't imagine this would put much strain on the Vulcan's weak electrical system, although I have already added a couple of low-wattage LED Motolights.
there are several threads on installing an accessory plug ,just get one of the little adapters that plug into a cigarette lighter and has a USB outlet and you're set,The amp draw from your Garmin will be minimal and basically a non-issue.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
You folks always making things so complicated...

Just get one of these....wire it right to your battery.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Gilsson-GUSB5VB-Hardwire-power-cord-for-Garmin-P1718.aspx

Guess an inline fuse would be good to add to it...if there isn't one.

My gps is hardwired. Draw is not enough to worry about on the vulcan.
That's a neat little cord for the Garmin,but he might want to charge his cell phone at some point in time but if powering the Zumo is all you are after,by all means the hardwired cord looks like the rte to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I got that....but he did ask "What's the best way to get power from my bike battery?

I had a separate "ciggerette lighter" type plug on my bike for a cell phone, but hardwired the GPS. Plug in adapters can work loose, causing "unreliable" power to sensitive (or expensive) electronics. To me, hardwiring is the "best way" to power these items.

My iPhone cost me 45 bucks. My GPS cost over 10 times that.

You do need to make sure there is a proper amped inline fuse. There was one already built into the hardwire kit for my GPS. I am not sure about the one in the link I gave. I do believe Garmin does offer a hardwire kit for all their GPS units, but a quick search the one in the link was all I could find.

Wal-Mart sells a waterproof accessory plug in their truck and trailer section that would make a good choice if you want just a "ciggerete lighter" type plug. I suggest using a 15 amp fuse for it, as the Garmin plug has its own fuse. This way if you want to use the plug for something like a small tire pump you won't blow the fuse.

KM

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
There are also extra connectors inside the right side cover. And also there are some in the light bucket. You will need some bullet connectors.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I've been happy with the cigarette lighter plug ins on the VN & Sporty, but I use them as Denny said, GPS, cell phone, trickle charger & whatever... My GPS (also a cheap Nuvi) will only do about 3-4 hrs. on its own battery charge, but I only use it when needed and then mostly on map setting, or if lost I hit home...lol...
So, that works for me, may not for anyone else...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
There are also extra connectors inside the right side cover. And also there are some in the light bucket. You will need some bullet connectors.
I used the leads behind the right side cover. Worked out great. I liked the 12v socket being hidden. I used some small adhesive backed wire clips to hold the GPS power wire along the frame up to the unit it's self. Simple & quick to set up the GPS for a ride, when I don't know where I'm going! lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
There's an unused fused 12V wire behind the headlight that is perfect for powering a 12V adapter. That's what I used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second that on the 12v wire behind the headlight.. years back when i did mostly night riding i found that wire in there and taped into it and hooked up a pair of (flood/fog) lights up to shine off into the ditches for deer. I used a relay and tied into the high beam wire so that they only were on when i had my high beams on.. Worked great

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
If the GPS is mounted on the bar, just connect it to the accessory leads inside the headlight. That is the shortest rout, and they are already fused. You can connect as many things as you want to these leads, as long as you don't exceed the capacity of the fuse. You can connect wires to them with bullet connectors on one end, and whatever connector you need for the GPS on the other end. A little cutting, stripping, soldering, and heat shrink tubing will fix anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts