Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for one and was wondering what everyone is using. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugy.

Thanks!

·
spence
314 Posts
I have a Magellan Sport Track Map. It's a great little GPS, eats through batteries though if you don't have the 12v adapter. I bought one of those Bicycle mounts and put it on my VN. Works pretty well. THe downsiide, it has a very small amount of memory, 6mb I think and you can only get a small part of any given state on it as far as street maps. I have most of Central and Western NY downloaded on it and that's it. If I want to put something more on I'm stuck. I have to erase the map and plug in another one.

I would reccomend a unit with more memory, the more memory, the more of a map you can put on it. THe display is good for black and white, but I wish I had a color one. Cabelas has a good price on the bundle, the GPS and the MapSend software that goes with it for about $199

Spence

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
I'm looking at a Garman GPSMAP 176 myself. It is color. However, at KL I was talking to starman about his GPS and he has a grayscale one. Says the color ones are hard to see in sunlight. Then he tried to show me where we were on it and D'oh, he did not have a detailed map of the area loaded. So get one with as much memory as you can.

RB

·
Registered
35 Posts
whatya need a GPS for? Half of the fun of riding is going down a strange road getting lost and trying to figure out how to get to a road you know. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
mnmkiller said:
whatya need a GPS for? Half of the fun of riding is going down a strange road getting lost and trying to figure out how to get to a road you know. :)
Almost right - to Quote Toj ~v13~ "You can NEVER be lost when you're on your bike, becauuse you're always right where you want to be: ;)

I personally use Uncle Glenn as my GPS - put him on his Nomad, give him a direction or general destination & be ready to ride :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
mnmkiller said:
True...unless you have just switched to reserve and not sure where the next gas station is, don't have cell service or if you, don't know where you are...lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
You know that almost happened to me once. I was on a road in Florida a few years ago.(in the interior where not many people live). I went to reserve and went another thirty miles before I came to a gas station. I was beginning to sweat a little. LOL.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use a Garmin iQue 3600. It is color and has a large display. I have a 256M SD card in it and can download quite a few maps in it. I have a Ram mount on the l/h handlebar and utilize a 12vdc adapter so don't have to worry about batteries.
I don't have any problem reading it even in direct sunlight although I have used gray scale GPS's before and they are easier to read in direct sunlight.
I use my GPS on all my rides out in the country. I usually don't know where I am going but know where I am if you know what I mean.
On my recent trip back from KyLk I used it to find all my back roads and it worked great. The Garmin iQue 3600 is a little pricey ($500 - mine was a gift). It is also a PDA, MP3 player and digital voice recorder and can play games.
The only real down side to using it on the bike - it is not water proof and must be protected from moisture. Although I have dropped mine - once - I do not recommend dropping it. It is not designed for rugged outdoor use. But mine has worked great on all my rides. I have had it now for 9 months. It has actually paid for itself IMO, even though as I said it was a gift.
If I was buying a GPS this would not have been my first choice but I like this one very much. You can use an external antenna on a 8 ft coax cable if so desired and it talks to you to tell you when to turn, go straight, etc.
check it and others out at www.gpscity.com

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Re: GPS Map devices - why I would want one

Because sometimes you need to get unlost in a hurry. e.g. almost out of gas, or storm coming in, or you've been out a little too long, and you need to get home asap to pick up your kids. I usually have to start to figure out where I am sooner than I want too, because I need to allow for extra time to get home in time. With a GPS, I could check it and know just how long it would take to get home.

Also, For the days I wander around and find a neat road I want to remember and do again, I'd like to have some idea of where it was,and how I got there. So while I may go out and never use the GPS, it could keep track of where I went, I could download it to the computer, see where I went and mark the road so I could do it again sometime.

mnmkiller said:

·
Registered
120 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I bought a Garmin Street Pilot III GPS. This is a great navigation device for either the bike or car (I use it for both). It comes with maps for the entire USA on a CD. You have to transfer map info for various areas as you need the from the CD to the unit by using a computer. When using the right adapter it gives voice instructions as well as visual for navigation. Visual navigation instructions are big enough that I can read them on the bike without having to use my reading glasses. According to the tech data for the unit it is supposed to withstand being submerged under 1 meter of water for 30 minutes, so it should hold up under light rain. I found a nice chrome mounting bracket for putting it on the bike at techbiker.com (the model I used on the VN750 stock handlebar is 30996C). If you tell the techbiker people what unit you are mounting, they will provide a baseplate pre-drilled for the device. I also got a wiring connector from gpscity.com to hardwire the unit to the bike's accessory power connectors on the front forks.
See the photos.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/phoeb...done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Attachments

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Yeah, that's a nice device, used one over three years ago in rental car when they first came out. could not believe how well it worked. Went to buy one back then till I saw the sticker...=:-O

How is the display in the sunlight? Esp with the sun to your back?

I've heard that the color displays can be a bit harder to read outside than the grey scale ones. Do you think that is true with this one.

RB

·
Registered
120 Posts
The color display on this unit is easy to read even in bright direct sunlight. The quality is not perfect when the sun is at your back, but it's still readable. I've had my sunglasses on everytime I've used it so far and had no problems. I personally think the color unit is easier to read than the monchrome ones.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Thats good, I'd like to get a color gps unit but I was concerned about being able to see it. The color display on my noika phone sucks...

thanks
RB

Wall said:
The color display on this unit is easy to read even in bright direct sunlight. The quality is not perfect when the sun is at your back, but it's still readable. I've had my sunglasses on everytime I've used it so far and had no problems. I personally think the color unit is easier to read than the monchrome ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts