Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing out the front wheel bearings tonight, and need to get some circlip pliers for that. So that I don't make an a-- of myself, can anyone tell me if these are commonly found among Craftsman tools? Or at an auto parts store? And do they come in pairs (for removing the ones inside a retaining ring, and for removing circlips that are holding onto the outside)? Finally, the circlips on my passengers footpegs were a size readily available at the local auto parts store, but the front wheel ones are 42mm...is that a "normal" size, or am I gonna have to call up Ron Ayers again?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Cindy, if you get some like the pair I have that are somewhat long nosed,

you can probably use the same pair for inside and out. And as far as replacing the circlips, if you use circlip pliers to remove them, they should come off clean and un-damaged, and you should be able to reuse them no problem. Now if they're rusted and no good, then you'll have to find replacements.
I've never replaced a circlip, just reused them all.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with a long enough "reach" (longer-nosed, wider grip for the handle), the one should do it? Works for me. Hard to tell what kinda shape the circlips on my front wheel are gonna be in - I pulled the grease cap off last night, and saw nothing but red dust/rust (but no spiders!! :pepper: ). Sprayed it down with brake cleaner a few times, and can now actually see the circlip - as to whether it's gonna move or not when prodded...I guess I'll find out this evening.

I've decided that motorcycle repair work is a whole lot like my day job (federally contracted health services research): the work always takes 3 times as long as you think it will, and costs at least twice as much as you originally estimated. :doh:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The big difference between inside and outside is that one springs open and one springs closed. They are often sold as kits containing both, but single ones are available too.

42mm (1.654in) is just a bit larger than 1 5/8 (1.625in). The difference (.029in) is about the thickness of a CD. Alot of the hardware stores around here have a pretty decent selection of clips, so let's hope ya find one easily :smiley_th

Tools, ya can never have enough !! And even when ya think ya have them all, someone makes a new one !!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Found these at Napa - we'll see how long they last, but since I don't plan on pulling circlips on a daily basis, they might work. WOrk for both internal and external retaining rings, and have various sizes of prongs to use, depending upon the ring. Worked for pulling the clips off the front wheel bearing last night!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts