Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone!!!
i was on a longish ride yesterday, cruising about 45-50mph, and i noticed that i was not able to get any acceleration going when i twisted. then the front cyl quit on me. then the front came back but the idle was terrible. then she died. was able to get her back started and make it home only after turning the idle adjustment way up. but the running was rough and had little power. the back seemed to be firing fine but the front/right side exhaust note was way off and weak.
i've had weird surging problems in the past but then i cleaned out the tank which has a little bit of rust which fixed the problem... so i did that again today. got out the gunk, and put fresh gas back in and got her running first try. at first all seemed fine and then the rpms just dropped and dropped until it died.
for the first time today i also heard the hiss coming from the tank cap. got her running with cap open and it was still rough. took for a spin and low power then died like it wasn't getting gas or something.
then got her running again (was harder and harder to get started each time). this time just messing around i would plug with my finger the tube coming off the right side by the ear (not sure exactly what this is? vent or something?) and when i did that the rpms would just go higher and higher. in the past i have put my finger over this tube just to see what would happen and the rpms seemed to go down if i remember correctly.
so since today was the first time i have started hearing the tank hiss i am assuming this could be some sort of venting issue?
i know i have read of vent tubes on here but i am unsure which they are/where they are?
anyway, any suggestions would be helpful. i do use seafoam fairly regularly. the carbs probably DO need cleaned. so that could be part of it maybe? its an '86 that has low miles. it sat for awhile before i got it.
any ideas/advice would be appreciated! thanks!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Have you used any Sea Foam?
You can try draing the Float Boals also and see what you get, easer that pulling the carbs.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
And what about the plugs? Did ya pull them to see how they looked?
Have they been changed recently?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
As for the hiss coming from the fueltank cap... When it's warm out, mine always does that.
When my one riding buddy said something about it once, I told him that's the hidden power of the Vulcan waiting to be released, then, once we were on the road, I blew his footpegs off as I passed him !! LOL
When we stopped for a smoke break, I reminded him of the "hidded power hiss", and he just mumbled something about "well, if we had another couple miles, I would've caught up to ya"
I just laughed and said "Yeah, I would've slowed down to wait for ya"!

What I'm saying is, I believe the tank hiss is normal.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
On the tube ya are putting your finger over - ya feeling any suction?

I'd make sure that the exposed (open?) hose is in fact the vent hose and not a vacuum hose that accidentally got hooked up wrong.

Seems like there's labeled carb parts somewhere here...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the tube ya are putting your finger over - ya feeling any suction?

I'd make sure that the exposed (open?) hose is in fact the vent hose and not a vacuum hose that accidentally got hooked up wrong.

Seems like there's labeled carb parts somewhere here...
i dont think there was any suction.

still gotta check the sparkplus today. didn't feel like messing with it yesterday so i made ribs. mmm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wouldn't ya know i rode for a good while last nite and there were no issues. must've been gunk that worked its way through ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts