Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a 1986 VN750 from my brother. It is in excellent shape. So I took a Motorcycle safety course got my license with the dmv. Today was my first day that I rode into work about 12 miles. At the light to leave my neighborhood I got rear ended by a cadilac. He was right behind me and when the light turned green he hit the gas. I did not even have a chance to move. His bumper locked under my fender but I was able to get it off. He sustained more damage than I did. It just bent my license plate. But it is going to the shop for a checkup just to make sure everything is okay. He said he was running late for his Dr's appt. I rode on into work with no problems and made it home okay.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
You are one lucky chief!! People amaze me. WTF was that guy thinking. Glad you are ok.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
So I took a Motorcycle safety course got my license with the dmv. Today was my first day that I rode into work about 12 miles. At the light to leave my neighborhood I got rear ended by a cadilac.
That's a rough start! Hopefully, all the bad stuff is now behind you! ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
That sux, dude. Glad the damage wasn't any worse, that you're OK, and that the bike doesn't seem to be any worse for the incident.

I used to think Houston traffic and drivers were bad. After 20 years of driving a bus in, around, and thru Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, I've come to the conclusion that the Austin area is the absolute pits as far as drivers are concerned.

Jim

·
Registered
721 Posts
some one was looking out for you.
I have my internship with the county sheriff Department. the deputy showed me pics of a rear ending car vs. motorcycle. it took 3 hours to remove the bike from the car... the guys wasn't in too great of shape...
glad to

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Really good to here the mighty Vulcan gave the worst of it to the caddy!! And glad you're OK too.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Oh man, I would have been spending a few days in jail after that one. I mean REALLY that guy had to have seen you sense he didnt rear end you when he approached the light. So he thinks he can just use you like a speed bump and plow over you once it turned green? I would have pulled him out of his car and gone Jet Li on his ass and givin him a real reason to make a doc appointment. I am happy to hear youre ok and the bike is going to still be useable but WTF? People are such Bravo Delta's (Big Dummy's).

Peace :beerchug:

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
My guess is the damage to the caddy is on the left front in front of the driver and a dent in the dash where the cell phone hit ....
Very glad to hear you came out on top!!!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Man-o-man, what poor drivers some cagers make. I'm glad you weren't hurt. And I hope the other driver is paying for your check-up at the shop.

I'm always concerned when a car stops behind me right on my butt. If someone bumps him from behind he gets a small dent, but he will knock into me and I could get seriously hurt. It's my habit to look back and motion them to stay put, as I inch forward a bit. Occasionally someone will creep closer as I inch forward. That's when I tend to loose some patience and point directly at them and mouth out "Back Off!" I almost got into a fight the other day with two guys in a pick-up after they crept up on me twice at a busy intersection. Once we got to the next light I pulled right next to them and wagged my finger at them (not the middle one this time!) and they just kept looking forward, afraid of a confrontation. I know that may not have been very Christian of me, but these people need to know how dangerous that is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for the support and kind words. Everything turned out okay. I have been riding my bike into work. But I am still a little leary about people on my butt. Especially soccer moms on cell phones.:doh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
glad you and the bike were ok

things could've been a lot worse.
:rockon:

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Did you inform the guy that you did NOT want to go to the Dr with him? Or maybe.. "Well from now on you better check the bus schedules cause by the time my lawyer gets through with you.. " (All the time holding your neck and grimmacing as you tell him this..)

Or.. "Well here, take my bike and I'll follow YOU this time, now that I know how you are suppose to drive this caddy.. with your head up your a....."

Glad you came out as good as you did and the bike too!

·
Registered
881 Posts
glad your ok, a lot of people drive with there heads up there ass! im always checking my mirrors when i come to a stop. i try to plan an escape if possible, usually towards the shoulder of the road.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Glad it wasn't me. Like others have said - I too would have likely came unglued on the a-hole. Glad ur ok - good thing it was a low speed impact (like that he saw you before stopping)

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Hey Chief, glad you updated us. I assume you are telling us that your bike checked out ok without any hidden damage.

I'm quite leary of people behind me, too, as you can tell from my prior reply in this thread. At my beginners MSC, they taught us when at a red light to leave the bike in 1st gear with the clutch in, and prepare a quick route away from a driver who might hit you from behind. I do this frequently.

Please also leave enough space between you and the guy in front of you so that you can easily swerve around him if you need to, and so that you can still inch a bit forward if the imbicile behind you stops right up on your tail. While nothing can guarantee collision avoidance, I believe that distance and awareness are two things somewhat in your control that can give you the best oppertunity to avoid collisions.

Above all, continue to enjoy your ride...

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
At my beginners MSC, they taught us when at a red light to leave the bike in 1st gear with the clutch in,

I guess that's great if you are building up strong fingers and forearm muscles on your left side. I'd rather be more relaxed than tense if someone hit me from behind. I'll come out from it much better. Ever seen a drunk after he's caused an accident? They usually come out without many injuries. Why? They're totally relaxed.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
The technique they taught us in MY MSF course was hold the clutch till you have at least one person stopped behind you. This of course would not have helped in this situation...

I guess I've got strong fingers - I just hold the clutch while I'm waiting - seems like more work to put her in neutral then shift back into gear than be prepared to go any time...

And also... consider that the unhurt drunk happens to have a nice cage around them - we don't....

·
Registered
273 Posts
:smiley_th:beerchug:GLad to hear that you and your "girl" are OK. The (ahem) person needs 3 things:
1) an EXPENSIVE TICKET!!!!
2) a WOODSHED treatment
and....
3) his liscence suspended!!!

And ladies and gentlemen, I think this rider needs a gremlin bell, don't you???
:wow:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts