Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my bike today from the local shop and what I feared was the diagnosis, bad stator, bike isn't charging.

I'm looking into doing the Tuxedo mod, going to replace my regulator also, It's already mounted to the left side of bike by a previous owner.

Are there upgrades from the factory stator/regulator on the market?

I'm not a mechanic by any mean's but I'm confident I can do this mod myself, just want to get back on the rode asap! Rode it today after it sitting in the shop for day's and almost forgot what I was missing. I'd love to get a bigger bike because this one is a bit small for me but these Vulcan's (especially with the cobra exhaust) have a thing about them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
2,520 Posts
Count on at least 3 weeks without riding if you send it to Tim. But it will be worth it.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
There are other MOSFET r&r's out there. You don't have to use the 12. It's just popular.
I've got one in my garage I'm not using if your interested.
Pm me & we can discuss it. I'm cleaning things out & ill let it go reasonably.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I just got started on replacing my stator today. I'm doing mine what I consider to be the right way, by removing the engine. If you are going to do the Tuxedo mod, I still suggest removing the engine to do it. At least it will be easy to replace if it fails again. My feelings are that when you start cutting/grinding on the stator cover, you are going to get a lot of metal particles in the engine, and most of them are not going to come out. They will circulate through the lubrication system, getting into all kinds of bad places, and probably doing lots of damage. Other have done it, but I would never trust an engine that I know has metal particles in it. They can damage all the bearings, and even get stuck in the rings and scrape up the cylinder walls.

It's your bike, and if you want to do it that way, it's certainly up to you. But to me this is not a place to be in a hurry. I figure on it taking me at least 6 weeks to complete, working on it about an hour a day but not every day.

Not sure about the R/R (my stock one lasted 92,000 miles, and still seems to be good) but Tim is definitely the place to get the stator rebuilt, regardless of time. I have seen this come up on other forums as well. I'd avoid the cheap crap on eBay, or you'll likely be doing it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts