Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...handlebars, that is.
I put on a set of BMW medium tall street style bars over the weekend.
They are 2.5" shorter and have 3" less pull-back than the stock mini-ape hangers. I wanted a slightly more aggressive forward lean, and they are perfect. They are just as wide, but lower, so they make the Vulc look mean...
Combined w/ my new black levers, mirrors & grips...the look is very 'stealth'.
I'm waiting for my new grips from DKirk...should be here tomorrow. I'll post some ride impressions in the next few days if it ever stops raining....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Don't forget the pictures. I have been toying with the idea of changing handle bars. I found some Flanders that are 3" shorter and have the same pullback but the center is not knurled so I am not sure if they will stay in place. Did the ones you get have the alignment holes drilles for the controls or did you have to drill them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Re: Got my new BMW....Bar knurls

If bars are not knurled, put some medium grit sandpaper around the bars in the clamp area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
John,

How much $ did the bars cost? What's the part number? How do ya like 'em?
Let's see some pics!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Got my new BMW....handlebars! Ride report...

Did 270mi today w/ the new bars and the results are in...I like the change alot!
When on the bike, you are angled slightly forward, just what I wanted. The bars put your hands lower and slightly forward. Not uncomfortable at all. I would guess the angle of my back at the hips is ~ 70deg or so forward, as opposed to being vertical w/ the stock bars.
I noticed less turbulence around my head coming over the Givi deflector I have, and less buffeting on the chest.
I don't notice any radical change in handling or leverage of the bars, but because you are placed in a slightly more aggressive posture to begin with, I sense that leaning (countersteering) may be just a tad quicker, so maybe I do have more leverage...not sure.
Slightly more pressure on the wrists, and had to shake them out a couple of times...no big deal.
Bottom line...two thumbs up!!
I bought Flanders bars from www.cyclepages.com.
They are pn 650-02021, abt 63bux. They are called BMW Medium Tall Street Bars, and they are 7/8", except at the 'control area' which is 22mm. 7/8" is 22.225mm, so I was not concerned abt the <1/4mm missing. I put some metal tape around them where the switchgear and levers mounted...no problem.
They are not knurled, so I used some metal tape at the bracket mount points...they are not going to move.
I did NOT drill holes for the switchgear. The metal tape I used at the clamp points grabbed on very well to the plastic mounting cases, and I can't move them after I tightened down the screws...we'll see.
All in all...I'm very pleased. I've been wanting to do this for abt a year now. It makes the bike look a lot stealtier....less like a chopper, I think.
If I can 'procure' a digicam, I will take some pics and get them on here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Got my new BMW....handlebars! Ride report...

jm1515 said:
Did 270mi today w/ the new bars and the results are in...I like the change alot!
When on the bike, you are angled slightly forward, just what I wanted. The bars put your hands lower and slightly forward. Not uncomfortable at all. I would guess the angle of my back at the hips is ~ 70deg or so forward, as opposed to being vertical w/ the stock bars.
I noticed less turbulence around my head coming over the Givi deflector I have, and less buffeting on the chest.
I don't notice any radical change in handling or leverage of the bars, but because you are placed in a slightly more aggressive posture to begin with, I sense that leaning (countersteering) may be just a tad quicker, so maybe I do have more leverage...not sure.
Slightly more pressure on the wrists, and had to shake them out a couple of times...no big deal.
Bottom line...two thumbs up!!
I bought Flanders bars from www.cyclepages.com.
They are pn 650-02021, abt 63bux. They are called BMW Medium Tall Street Bars, and they are 7/8", except at the 'control area' which is 22mm. 7/8" is 22.225mm, so I was not concerned abt the <1/4mm missing. I put some metal tape around them where the switchgear and levers mounted...no problem.
They are not knurled, so I used some metal tape at the bracket mount points...they are not going to move.
I did NOT drill holes for the switchgear. The metal tape I used at the clamp points grabbed on very well to the plastic mounting cases, and I can't move them after I tightened down the screws...we'll see.
All in all...I'm very pleased. I've been wanting to do this for abt a year now. It makes the bike look a lot stealtier....less like a chopper, I think.
If I can 'procure' a digicam, I will take some pics and get them on here...
A couple of pix...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Got my new BMW....handlebars! Ride report...

jm1515 said:
Did 270mi today w/ the new bars and the results are in...I like the change alot!
When on the bike, you are angled slightly forward, just what I wanted. The bars put your hands lower and slightly forward. Not uncomfortable at all. I would guess the angle of my back at the hips is ~ 70deg or so forward, as opposed to being vertical w/ the stock bars.
I noticed less turbulence around my head coming over the Givi deflector I have, and less buffeting on the chest.
I don't notice any radical change in handling or leverage of the bars, but because you are placed in a slightly more aggressive posture to begin with, I sense that leaning (countersteering) may be just a tad quicker, so maybe I do have more leverage...not sure.
Slightly more pressure on the wrists, and had to shake them out a couple of times...no big deal.
Bottom line...two thumbs up!!
I bought Flanders bars from www.cyclepages.com.
They are pn 650-02021, abt 63bux. They are called BMW Medium Tall Street Bars, and they are 7/8", except at the 'control area' which is 22mm. 7/8" is 22.225mm, so I was not concerned abt the <1/4mm missing. I put some metal tape around them where the switchgear and levers mounted...no problem.
They are not knurled, so I used some metal tape at the bracket mount points...they are not going to move.
I did NOT drill holes for the switchgear. The metal tape I used at the clamp points grabbed on very well to the plastic mounting cases, and I can't move them after I tightened down the screws...we'll see.
All in all...I'm very pleased. I've been wanting to do this for abt a year now. It makes the bike look a lot stealtier....less like a chopper, I think.
If I can 'procure' a digicam, I will take some pics and get them on here...
A couple of pix...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't seem to get anything to upload here, so if you go to Y! photos/jm1515 I've put 2 views there for anyone interested...

Let me know what you think....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Hi John,

I have been eager to see the new bars, and they do look good. I would really like to see a shot taken from the side(s), to give a better idrea of the contrast between the new bars and the stock set.

BTW, do they require one to lean forward? I can't imagine leaning forward with my foot pegs also being forward. Where are the grips in relation to the stock position?

Thanks,

Ratty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ratty said:
Hi John,

I have been eager to see the new bars, and they do look good. I would really like to see a shot taken from the side(s), to give a better idrea of the contrast between the new bars and the stock set.

BTW, do they require one to lean forward? I can't imagine leaning forward with my foot pegs also being forward. Where are the grips in relation to the stock position?

Thanks,

Ratty
Rat...I'll get a right side shot on Y! today after I ride.
Yes, I am leaning slightly forward. They old bars had me sitting virtually upright. The new ones are lower and more forward, so my back is abt a 70* angle to my hips. Perfect for me w/ stock foot controls, but if you have forward controls, I think you might be jack-knifed a bit uncomfortably.
I'll post when I have the additional pics...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Thanks John,

I look forward to seeing a picture showing the view from the side.

Ratty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ratty said:
Thanks John,

I look forward to seeing a picture showing the view from the side.

Ratty
Alright, Ratman..
Just posted a right side shot and a close-up of the 'cockpit' on Y!
Let me know what you think.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
John,

I really like the look. It does look less retro and sleeker. However, I would not want to lean further forward unless my feet were brought nearer the rear of the bike, ala the BMW riding position. But, with risers, it might be ideal.

I also like the rectangular mirrors. Are they Meanstreak, VN800 Classic, or what?

Finally, is the Mustang seat a bit higher than the stock seat? I like it a lot, but being vertically challenged, seat height is a critical factor for me.

You have a really terrific looking bike.

Thanks for sharing,

Ratty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rat...
The mirrors are by Napoleon. They are black GP mirrors you can get at www.cyclepages.com. ~$17 ea. They are ABS plastic w/ metal 4" stems and very nicely made.
The Mustang seat is a bit taller than stock...abt 1/2" maybe. I'm 5' 8 1/2" and the ergos w/ the BMW bars are perfect. You don't have to lean forward, you can sit almost straight up if you want, depending on the length of your arms and how much you have rotated the bars. I have them almost as low as they will go w/o touching the tank at full turn, but you can rotate them up and get the grips ~ 1" closer I think.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
John,

Good information. I do like the look.

Thanks,

Ratty
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top