Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my tank off and can't find the *&#@*~*`!+ rubber grommets for the left and right side mounts! Anybody got 'em? I've already PM'd Cindy. Thanks.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
If I didn't sell them to another memeber here either with the tank or seprate with the tank bolts, then my went vamoose also. Honestly, I think they went to the person who bought my tank. Paging Cindy Robins, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
What about checking at a hardware store?
I know the local Tractor Supply store has a bunch of different grommets and such. Not sure if any are the same as the OEM ones, but might not hurt to check.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea! Hadn't thought of that, but was in the process of making temporary ones out of inner tubes. Cindy and Bullwinkle PM'd me and don't have 'em either. Dealership will have them end of the week, when I have to go to FL in my truck. Would like to put more than the 2 miles I have on the bike before then!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
"This is the white courtesy phone, how may I help you?" lol

This may sound really dumb, but check around your engine block and see if the grommets are in there. If you took them off when you removed the tank, odds are they'd be with the tank, bolts, etc. In short, misplacing them can be kinda hard. But they do have a tendency to slide outta their holes and end up in the engine block or, even more fun, down by your radiator fan (where they will be torn to shreds and tear your fan from its mooring; don't ask me how I know this). Sorry I didn't have any spares for you, but this is the brightest idea I can come up with right now.

<click>

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crobins, if you ever need a kidney,one of mine will be available! After reading your post, took a flashlight and couldn't see a thing. Reached in on the right side, spun the fan, and out rolled a grommet! Ditto on the left! Not only do I have grommets, but my fan and radiator are intact! Sorry you learned the hard way, but thanks for sharing your knowledge/experience. Now I can ride in the morning! And I can put away the hand made ones I was working on!

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
I love a happy ending!

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
That radiator/fan assembly makes a good catch all. I've dropped several small tools in mine over the summer.

It's kind of like the rabbit hole under the hood of a car; that one spot where things get dropped and are never seen again....

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Once you have the grommets, clean them with laquer thinner or grain alcohol or what ever your prefered spirit is. Clean the mating surface/recepticle on the fuel/petrol tank. Apply some rubber cement or silicone to the grommet and tape in place or reinstall tank. This will prevent any mishap or aggrevation in the future. :smiley_th

·
Geek
872 Posts
Group hug !

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good suggestion lance. Will do.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
I'll have to look in the rabbit hole to see what goodies it may have caught.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts