Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my story:
I been looking to purchase another ride for the last 2years, after 10years of feigning from leaving an area that I could ride 10 months out of the year to an area that the riding season is shorter than my underwear changes...lol. I then came across an ad on Craigs List of this guy that has an '86 VN750 for a steal of $800. I went to look at it and it is in excellent condition for an '86. He then informed me of a charging problem, so I figure this aught to be easy enough right? I have replaced r/r and generators before, no big deal. Wow was I mistaken after I figured out what the problem was and read up on the procedure of fixing it from the manual. So I then thought "Oh well, this is still within my capabilities and should be fun". After tearing down most of the engine for removal, I then began pricing stators. What happened in the last 10years is what I want to know??? Wow what a price jump on EVERYTHING :confused: The OEM stator is pushing $300 ouchie whaa wha. I did happen to run across a site that had a great deal of $119 plus shipping for a stator and it came with a 1year warranty, but still I am an eternal optimist and hoping that someone can take pity on a true blue collar worker such as myself and sell an extra stator that they might have laying around in their garage for a more expectable price. I mean "Heck they were $60 new 10years ago for some models.Yes I know that I must be an old fart and needs to get with the times" but heck its worth a try right?

Thanks to all on here and looking forward to talking with the lot of you.
Ride on.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
At that price you are doing good, most used stators go for that price. And they do not have guaranties with the used ones. OEM parts are always overpriced. If you can find it one of the guys on this sight rebuilds the stators and he makes them stronger then original. I do not know what he charges, but a stronger is better than a OEM one. They just seem to burn out on a lot of the bikes.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For real??? Someone on here is capable of rebuilding a stator? Who who who??? Anyways if anyone knows who is able to rebuild stators I would love to talk further with them. Help a guy out huh? :hitanykey

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
He's PROBABLY talking about Hizzo - but I don't know that he ever completed his "frankenstator" or not...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts