Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I just got a 2005 vn750 tank off ebay for $20, plus $30 shipping!
Its mostly in nice condition but has one bad dent in the upper top right side.

Hopefully i can do something with it, try to salvage it, fix it, and customize it. But for basically $20 its a good deal i think. Maybe i cant, maybe i'm just wasting my money on it. but we'll see.

Attached are some pics.

Basically i want a second tank i can strip down and repaint and customize and keep my original stock and clean, lol.

Anyone got any ideas, suggestions, comments, let's hear them!!
Peace

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a very similar dent in mine when I got it. I took it to a local body shop and they just filled it in and repainted. Looks like new.

Before

After

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i was thinking i could fill it in with Bondo, but i was told that it dont work well for big dents with creases and such. I bondoed my tank on my 78 suzuki, it had some small gashes, didnt even take much to fill it, then sanded and primes and painted and clear coated, it was great, then i sold it and got my vulcan.

Bondo may be an option tho.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's a little deep for Bondo. It'd work. For awhile. Best way is to drill it and use a dent puller. Then grind it and sand it. THEN fill it etc.
imho:smiley_th

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a very similar dent in mine when I got it. I took it to a local body shop and they just filled it in and repainted. Looks like new.

Before

After
That's a sharp color!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
that's a great color!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I had an identical dent.. i used a pry bar to gently push the dent out, then filled with long haired filler, covered with bondo. looks good... can't even tell

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's a sharp color!!
that's a great color!
Thanks! The 99's and 00's both were that color.

I'm not sure what the body shop used to fill my dent, but it was pretty deep and about as close to a 90 degree dent as it could be. The PO dropped it on the trailer when he got home the day he bought it. The tank hit the railing on the trailer and presto, instant dent.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bet that hurt!

·
Registered
15 Posts
now dont drill holes in the tank and use a a puller....
head down to napa buy some dent pulling sticks either weld on or epoxy on..or melt some brass rod onto the dent then pull it out with a puller heat the dent while your doing it... then either fill it with solder or bondo....
and your done....
oh yeah wash out the tank good to rid it of fumes......if you use the weld on method.... or you will have a customized shape tank as well as no eyebrows....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts