throttle. Still starts quickly when cold and the choke is full on. Filled up
with gas after the run and it starts well with some throttle. I messed with the
black idle adjustment knob and now I forgot where it was to begin with (factory
setting). I counted the number of turns in when I started messing with it the
other day but have since forgotten. Age problems, I guess. Does anybody have a
number of turns out for the knob? At least a ball park number so I can start
over? I haven't touched the mixture screws and don't feel I should since it
used to run and idle perfectly. Lord, I don't want to pull the carbs..... I've
had the bottom plate off and sprayed both carb cleaner and Seafoam in there.
I've loaded up the carbs with Seafoam through the fuel hose and let it sit. I
think I've done everything except pull the little beggars. Somebody save me!!

Don

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
When the engine is @ operating temperature turn idle knob clockwise until you reach 1100 RPM. :smiley_th

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If it were me, I would use some "Heet" water remover and a little bit of chem tool (b-12) and run it out right away. Chem tool is better than sea foam in dissolving crud, but do not leave it in fuel system too long. imo. And follow up with sea foam for prevenative program.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, but two things. It runs smoothly at 60-70 mph, good throttle response, etc. As far as adjusting the idle screw at temperature, I can't get it to idle at all. As soon as I let off the throttle, it dies immediately. Doesn't even try to idle. Just as if I turned it off.....

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Turn the screw in and start bike. Start to unscrew the idle screw until the idle is where you want it.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I had this issue with some rebuilt carbs and lance328 and I finally decided it was a clogged pilot jet. You may really need to pull the carbs and give them a good soaking with Highly Toxic Carb Cleaner, then hit the jets with compressed air.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Thanks guys, but two things. It runs smoothly at 60-70 mph, good throttle response, etc. As far as adjusting the idle screw at temperature, I can't get it to idle at all. As soon as I let off the throttle, it dies immediately. Doesn't even try to idle. Just as if I turned it off.....
If turning the idle knob clockwise does nothing then you may have a problem with your pilot jets.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you turned it too far out at some point, the screw that actually adjusts the throttle near the carbs may have become unscrewed. Do you feel any resistance when you turn the idle adjustment clockwise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gosh darn idle problem won't go away! Help! Final adjustment?

I have one last adjustment I can think of to do. Instead of closing the idle knob and working open a turn or so and starting the bike, I am going to open it as far as I can and work the other way. After that, I have no choice but to remove the carbs and fool with the jets...... unless anybody has any other ideas.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Ok, it does not sound like your problem is caused by the black knob. All that does is adjust idle speed by holding the throttle open just a little. It sounds like your problem is in the pilot jets as lance328 said. If I were you, I would remove both pilot screws, and spray some Gumout into where the screws went. Then spray in a little WD40, and put the screws back in. Lightly seat them, then back them out about 2 1/2-3 turns. I have mine set at 3 turns, but have to turn them back in about 1 turn to get through the emissions test every year.

If that doesn't do any good, you will need to remove and thoroughly clean the carbs. You shouldn't have to replace anything, just a good cleaning with spray Gumout.

Even with the pilot jets completely plugged, you can usually get it to run on the main jets, without touching the throttle, by adjusting the idle speed (the black knob on the right) high enough. But that doesn't solve the problem. Don't be afraid to mess with the pilot screws, there's no rocket science involved here. As long as you get them back in close to the right number of turns, you won't mess anything up. Try that first, and see what happens. Jerry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
rebuild the carbs... it not the most fun task, but when it's all said and done your bike will run much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts