Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My tachometer is a mess..it jumps and shakes when I move the bike around (engine on or off), doesn't stay still while the engine is idling and gives off incorrect readings (8,000 rpm at highway speeds!) I removed the cup from the instrument panel and discovered there's no way of removing the innards to service them (unless I use a cutting instrument - someone please tell me that's not true). I blew compressed air through the connectors and even applied dielectric grease afterwards.

After reinstalling, only a slight improvement was noticed, but nothing short of a miracle. Additionally, I checked for frayed/worn wiring and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, from what the eyes can tell.

Can the internal parts in the tach cluster be serviced or do I need to purchase a new/used unit?

Thanks,
-Catharsys

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Check all of your grounds. If you have a loose or bad ground, the tach will jump all over.

·
2,521 Posts
Check all of your grounds. If you have a loose or bad ground, the tach will jump all over.
X2 on the bad ground. I had that happen once and found it was just a loose battery cable.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
X3 on that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies.

Allow me to add a few things, too:

The wiring harness that was on the bike when I received it was poorly spliced in several areas (and the tach was still crazy back then) so I found a nicely used main wiring harness for a 1999 on ebay. Besides a little dirt and grime, the loom was not molested nor were there any nicks or gouges on the wires. One of the horn connectors was missing, but a trip to the local Ace store had what I needed. During the wiring harness install, I carefully insured that all wiring was properly making good contact not only with the main harness but with the additional wires near the battery/fuse box/relays.

I'm pretty sure I missed something, though. I'll double check everything.

Another question - is it normal for the tachometer needle to move freely about while holding it in my hand? I can move it around gently like a snow globe and it'll bounce around.

Does anyone have a larger color wiring diagram than the one provided on this site?
http://www.vn750.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25042&d=1439150541

Something a little clearer if possible

Thank you,
Catharsys

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

Allow me to add a few things, too:

The wiring harness that was on the bike when I received it was poorly spliced in several areas (and the tach was still crazy back then) so I found a nicely used main wiring harness for a 1999 on ebay. Besides a little dirt and grime, the loom was not molested nor were there any nicks or gouges on the wires. One of the horn connectors was missing, but a trip to the local Ace store had what I needed. During the wiring harness install, I carefully ensured that all wiring was properly making good contact not only with the main harness but with the additional wires near the battery/fuse box/relays.

I'm pretty sure I missed something, though. I'll double check everything.

Another question - is it normal for the tachometer needle to move freely about while holding it in my hand? I can move it around gently like a snow globe and it'll bounce around.

Does anyone have a larger color wiring diagram than the one provided on this site? I'm having a hard time viewing it.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25042&d=1439150541

Thank you,
Catharsys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts