Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, this was supposed to be a good weekend for my VN700... I managed to clean the carburetors and put them back in, I had already changed the oil, I replaced and relocated the R/R, I got a fresh battery (not AGM, but fresh), I did the marble thing for the reed valves, I changed a bunch of old dried up hoses... everything was going ok, and then I look at my front brake cylinder and there's this sight thing on it to see the level of the fluid, but it looks kinda dark, so I rub it with my finger to see if it clears up...

Well, the sight glass (plastic it seems) seemed to disintegrate!! It just broke with just rubbing it with my finger!! I was soooo pissed off... think it can be fixed or plugged or something, or am I just doomed to buy another cylinder?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I don`t know if there is any way to repair a broken sight glass on the master brake cylinder. Maybe check with a watchmaker to see if he has a watch crystal of the right diameter to fit the hole, and silicone it in place. Not the prettiest fix, but maybe functional??? The brake fluid in the reservoir is not under pressure, only the fluid in the brake line in front of the brake piston operated by the hand lever.

Here is a whole front brake assembly off a 1986 model, on ebay for $60. The rectangular MC was used from `85 to 1990.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-86-VN750-VULCAN-FRONT-CALIPERS-BRAKE-MASTER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a8b12656QQitemZ230463448662QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Another one off a 2003 for $297. (This one has a round master cylinder used from 1991-2006, but with the hand lever included it should be a straight bolt on. The brake hand lever shape is different for the rectangular and round MC.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-03-VN750-Vulcan-Front-Brake-Caliper-Assy-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20ac6eb348QQitemZ140331889480QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I couldn`t find any master cylinders only for sale on ebay.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I had already checked ebay, so I posted another thread here to see if someone has one for sale. I like that watch crystal idea... I don't care if it doesn't look that good, just want to ride the bike. I do have a master cylinder from my EX500, they are the same except that the one on my Vulcan has the thread for the mirror and the EX500 MC doesn't have that. I can use that one in the meantime until I get a Vulcan MC or maybe get different mirrors that attach differently(?). I'm not sure, gonna scout my options... I did want new mirrors, so if I can find some that don't mount on that particular hole, it'd be great.

I was kinda disappointed today, was looking forward to testing the bike and see how it performed with the carb cleaning, adjusting the screws 2.5 turns out, the marble thing and all... but I couldn't even start the damn thing... desperately needs new spark plugs but I can't find them locally... I only found the regular ones (not iridium, not even platinum... copper?) and they're almost as expensive as the Iridium plugs are in the U.S., so I'm definitely not buying them here.

I really hope I can get the bike back on the road soon :-/

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Well, this was supposed to be a good weekend for my VN700... I managed to clean the carburetors and put them back in, I had already changed the oil, I replaced and relocated the R/R, I got a fresh battery (not AGM, but fresh), I did the marble thing for the reed valves, I changed a bunch of old dried up hoses... everything was going ok, and then I look at my front brake cylinder and there's this sight thing on it to see the level of the fluid, but it looks kinda dark, so I rub it with my finger to see if it clears up...

Well, the sight glass (plastic it seems) seemed to disintegrate!! It just broke with just rubbing it with my finger!! I was soooo pissed off... think it can be fixed or plugged or something, or am I just doomed to buy another cylinder?

85'-90' M/C sight glass "mineral glass" AKA watch crystal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-kawasaki-vn-vulcan-750-master-cylinder-sight-glass-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53dbbd7438QQitemZ360168911928QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm thinking that you need the original replacement where it is a pressurized system like in a car. Maybe not as much pressure but still a vital piece of equipment. If you silicone something in place it could blow off when you hit the brake and that would suck if you are in a predicament. I would try and find a new/used brake cylinder.

Edit; I guess I should have checked Lances' link before posting. So what him said above. lol

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, thanks a LOT for that link Lance!! I couldn't find that one myself :)

Baldy: I don't think there's pressure in the reservoir, I only rubbed that thing and it broke, if there was any considerable pressure it would have been long gone I think lol

Here's a question... What color is the brake fluid supposed to be? This one came out green and kinda thick... maybe it wasn't even brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Light amber.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
You may be able to make one out of clear plactic. Be sure to test it with brake fluid to see if it will not melt. And use a light bit off silicone to seal it into place.

·
Boston Vulcan Rider
20 Posts
right i'd say get a thick piece of acrylic and cut the circle and either weld-bond, epoxy, or hard silicone it into place, or a combination of those sealing techniques. ought to be fine :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts