Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Kufbass
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a good site if you do not mind second hand motorcycle gear. You can find alot of motorcycle jackets,pants,vest,boots,helmets,seats,backrest/luggage racks, and other gear.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/

P.S. You guys can thank me on this one lol. There is a lot of gear that I will probably have to bid against you guys on:)

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I know many got good deals at "New Enough" , seems they are now:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

I'm not a big fan of Joe Rocket gear....although I do own one of their jackets. ( I think some of their early stuff was not sewn well)

I've been pretty impressed with Fieldsheer gear, but I guess you all need to know that Fieldshheer, Tourmaster, Firstgear and even Joe Rocket jackets and pants are all made overseas....i.e. China. You can find knockoffs cheaper, but the companies usually don't have the quality control the bigger names implement.

If I had no gear at all, I'd take out a loan if needed and get all my gear from Aerostitch or Motorport. When it's your ass on the line, cheap doesn't sound so good.
But I got so much gear I've collected through the years I'll just go with what I have. My only big "but" is my helmet. My head is worth more money than I even have, so I refuse to skip on quality there.

·
Kufbass
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Seen your sight that you listed. The site should be called "New Enough to be Priced as New".

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
KM said
My head is worth more money than I even have, so I refuse to skip on quality there.
Says who? ;)

I can't believe You left that slow one hanging for someone to swing at.:doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Seen your sight that you listed. The site should be called "New Enough to be Priced as New".
Yeah, looks like they aren't the same as the old "new enough" store.Too bad.....

"I can't believe You left that slow one hanging for someone to swing at."

Guess I miss the joke. But, yes I do sometimes purposely set up the pins to see who figures out how to knock them down...;)

I've actually found the best bargains on gear at local dealers...saving 20 bucks online for something you can't even look at or try on seems pointless if you end up paying 20 bucks for shipping.......so I don't buy gear online myself...

·
Banned
431 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
am i the only one who still wants a denim jacket.. nobody has them

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Yes, you are the only one. Not sure if you knew, but it's the year 2012, not the 60's, 70's or early 80's anymore when denim jackets were at least somewhat fashionable...;)

( hope there's a sheitload of Kevlar under that denim if your going to ride with it)

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
No you are not,I still wear them and the links that slim gave you have a variety of them armor and all.Unlike some people,I am not a slave to fashion and looking like Martha Stewart ,All Matched up and color coordinated.Denim never is out of style(like I care) and is much better breathing than some of the newer textile fabrics.
But the down side is unless it is reinforced with kevlar or lined in the strategic spots it will last about ten feet when you scoot across the pavement and it gets soaked in the rain along with you,And does not dry quickly.

Buy what you want and enjoy it,it's your hide and your choice.:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
It might be worth the effort for 70 some bucks.
The chrome on it looks real good and the mounting arms seem long enough to get them bolted up with little fabrication. I say go for it.....

And I was joking about the denim as per being fashionable. But yeah, by itself denim sucks for protection. I knew a guy that wiped out wearing a regular denim jacket (not motorcycle specific) besides losing skin..... Those tall metal rivet type buttons used on the cuff tore his arm up pretty good. Looked like someone ran a router down his arm..........

·
Registered
441 Posts
ok.. i know there is plenty online.. and yes KM, i admit i was born about 20 years too late. i'm 43 and should have been 18 in 68 rather than 86, but that is another story. My main issue with wanting denim is that every leather jacket i have tried on feels too heavy and makes me feel constricted. I would like a lightweight, flexible jacket that i can ball up in the saddlebag to keep with me if it gets too cool for just a shirt. Many of the mesh fabric jackets out there I just don't like.
so there..PPPTTTHHH

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Well if you ride your bike just wearing a "shirt" then my suggestions are kinda pointless anyway. Your hide. You decide.

My Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket is my go to riding jacket when it's warm to hot...a sweatshirt UNDER it works if it becomes cooler, or leaving in the lining.

You might as well skip the whole denim "jacket" concept and just roll up a good fleece lined nylon windbreaker.... Takes up less room, is warmer and better at cutting the wind when you're moving. Offers the same protection....i.e. None......

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
let me tell you a little story about the PO of my bike. He sold me his bike to buy him self a little 250 ninja because the VN750 was too much for him. Well the 3rd day he owned the bike he decided to take a little trip down to wally-world (maybe 2 miles one way). He never made it to Wal-Mart that day. He came up to a stop sign and stopped like he was supposed to. A guy making a left hand turn (while running the stop sign) didn't see him. Lucky for my friend he saw the truck and realized they were going to cross paths. so he gunned the little engine into motion, but still managed to get hit by the driver side door. the cops said my friend skidded about 40 feet on teh pavement. The Bike was crushed by the truck and looked like a beer can. My friend was/is a AGAT rider and suffered minor road rash on his calves, a twisted ankle, and a broken toe. He was wearing complete Joe Rocket gear, pants jacket gloves, (all Kevlar reinforced) and boots. He also had on his brand new Shoei Helmet. The helmet was cracked down the middle and his riding cloths.. well lets just say swiss cheese has less holes.. I think there is still textile skid marks in the pavement 4 years later.

My point is. an accident can happen at any time, whether you are riding 1 block, or an 1,000 mile iron butt. You ride with what you feel you can handle in the event you go down. Remember there are two riders out there... Those that have gone down, and those that will go down.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Yep. Most accidents they say happen close to home. A kid on a sportbike a few months back didn't even make to the end of the street he lived on, some old fk shot backwards from his driveway and the bike hit it. The kid flipped over the car, and lost a few inches of meat off his back when he landed on the road. Just a T shirt. Looked like a someone covered his back with raw hamburger meat.

Fate is cruel. Your odds of getting torn up are higher on that quick trip to the corner than they are taking a 300 mile ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts