Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Just wanted to know where you guys like to cruise. I found 60mph feels good. this would be on a fairly straight 4 lane highway. Speedlimit 55-65, it varies. thoughts? thanks!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I ussually ran 65 to 70. Actuall speed about 60 to 65. It just felt that at 75 I was taking a chance every time that I went past a cop. lol.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OR 4,000 rpm. 60mph on mine is ~4,000

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Most bike speedo are off. The VN was off about 5 miles, use a gps to test it. The speedo on my honda is off too. About 5 mph or more.
I used to wonder why I was always getting passed, not any more.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my gps died. haha

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how fast is too fast for the engine? i know the redline, but like the sustained rpm... i feel like 4,000 is alot, but i guess im just relating it to a car. 55 just seems like the 750 is loafing lol.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Hey 1986vn. This bike is made to cruise at high RPM, iit will cruise at 5000 RPM all day long, that will put you at about 70 miles per hour. The RPM's do seem to be high but that is how the bike is, and why you are always looking for 6th gear to shift too.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
wish there was a bolt-on 6th gear for the Vulcan lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey 1986vn. This bike is made to cruise at high RPM, iit will cruise at 5000 RPM all day long, that will put you at about 70 miles per hour. .
So dont feel bad about doin 65? i like to baby my engines. lol

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
On the freeway, it's rock solid at 70-75 all day long, speed verified by GPS. Of course, slowing down increases gas mileage.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How accurate was the bike speedo?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
How accurate was the bike speedo?
Speedo reads about 10% high with the stock sized front tire 100/90-19.
Just subtract 10% from speedo for close approximation of true speed.

4K rpm gives a true speed of 58 mph, but speedo will read ~64 mph
5K rpm = 72.5 mph

Even though the speedo reads fast, the odometer is reportedly quite accurate.
Changing out the front tire for a larger 110/90-19 will *almost* correct the speedo, but make the odometer read slightly low.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'd rather have the odo. more accurate.

·
Member? ... check.
536 Posts
I rarely look at the speedo, but asked my wife, “About how fast do you think my average cruise speed is?” She said she wasn’t sure, “maybe 50?”. At this point, I think about the rpm’s, as it is a much more interesting gauge to glance at. I would say that I like the ‘feel’ of the experience the best in the 3500 to 4000 rpm range. I think I am a relatively slow cruiser.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Hey 1986vn. This bike is made to cruise at high RPM, iit will cruise at 5000 RPM all day long, that will put you at about 70 miles per hour. The RPM's do seem to be high but that is how the bike is, and why you are always looking for 6th gear to shift too.
Fuel economy suffers, though. At least it did with mine.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Speedo reads about 10% high with the stock sized front tire 100/90-19.
Just subtract 10% from speedo for close approximation of true speed.

4K rpm gives a true speed of 58 mph, but speedo will read ~64 mph
5K rpm = 72.5 mph

Even though the speedo reads fast, the odometer is reportedly quite accurate.
Changing out the front tire for a larger 110/90-19 will *almost* correct the speedo, but make the odometer read slightly low.
This statement by OHC is very accurate IMHO, I ran both the 100 & 110 front tire and a GPS, that is exactly what I figured out...
Now crusing speed is a matter of opinion, I usually like to roll with the rest of the traffic or faster, but stay under the 15 mph and over where you get the big ticket, unless I'm in the twisties where there is no or very little traffic, and I'm pretty sure there are no LEOs, then I ride what feels good as long as I can make the curves...lol...
Personally I think the bike likes the higher RPM, I don't think it wants to be lugged... I did one time let mine go down in an almost stopped wet grass situation, and in trying to hold it wrung the throttle wide open with the clutch disengaged and saw an RPM of some where between 10 & 11K...:doh:... I actually think it may have even hit the peg, so I am sure there is no Rev. limiter on these bikes...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Down here when I run the border hwy I run 75-85. Not many cops, only Border Partol and they could care less. On the other hwys it's the speed limit. No mercy from the cops here in SW NM. NM is broke.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts