Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again Friends - Back in the day when I rode my Ninjas, etc, I was always able to just pop into a drug store or what have you, and get a CHEAP pair of sunglasses that sealed around my nose, and wrapped enough around the side to shield my eyes from any wind. Seems a lot harder to find nowadays. In Maine, we do not need a helmet, and I refuse to wear one. I ride free, understanding the consequences. However, I do want and need aye safety. I am right now wearing clear safety glasses I get from work, but they don't seal much, or wraparound, and my eyes water like a SOB! I am just curious what you all may be wearing. I don't want motorcycle glasses that look like they should come with ski poles, lol. I want cheap, because I have lost some before, and scratched some before, and I want easily replaceable. Maybe I'll see what good old Walmart has, but thought I'd see what you all do for eye protection. Example of what I am seeking below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Around where I’m at, every drug store (Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS) has a sunglass rack. I’m sure you can get something at a store like that. I have a windshield so it cuts the wind down on my face quite a bit but I still have multiple pairs of glasses. I have two pairs of clear safety glasses for night time, I also have a couple pairs of “nice” glasses because I do a lot of fishing and the last thing you want to do is squint all day when on the water for 6-7 hours. And lastly I have a pair of Bobsters photo-chromatic glasses. They are the only pair of “motorcycle” glasses I own, they darken in the sun, lighten up as it gets cloudy or dark out, they have padding to block the wind, and I can take the arms off and snap in a strap and wear them like goggles. I will probably be wearing these more because I just ordered a half helmet. PA doesn’t require helmets, even though I wear it anyway, NJ however does require you to wear one and I ride there often because of the beach towns. Anyway, I think the Bobsters were like $45 which is fairly cheap for glasses that are actually made for riding

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I'm legally blind without specs or contacts. With contacts, I wear the dark safety glasses they hand out at the power plants.

They had these for a while, but there are different styles, full frame, etc. Almost all are wrap-around.
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-Glasses-19823-Eyewear/dp/B000NP8U1I

$7.88 doesn't seem too terrible.

I like having the dark shield on my helmet, with dark glasses on too, almost don't even notice the sun eating me alive.

I keep a pair of clear glasses in the saddlebag for when I'm out at night.

Wind will blow contacts right out without glasses on. Had to quit contacts, wore them too long and created a problem with blood vessels in my eyes.

Clip-ons for Rx glasses blow right off. Transition lenses are expensive and don't get nearly dark enough, and won't fully darken if you're in a car. Pretty useless.

Going with two pairs this time, clear and Deep Space Dark.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
My friend picked up a pair of Stihl sunglasses at Rural King, forget the price but I thought they were reasonable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Around where I’m at, every drug store (Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS) has a sunglass rack. I’m sure you can get something at a store like that. I have a windshield so it cuts the wind down on my face quite a bit but I still have multiple pairs of glasses. I have two pairs of clear safety glasses for night time, I also have a couple pairs of “nice” glasses because I do a lot of fishing and the last thing you want to do is squint all day when on the water for 6-7 hours. And lastly I have a pair of Bobsters photo-chromatic glasses. They are the only pair of “motorcycle” glasses I own, they darken in the sun, lighten up as it gets cloudy or dark out, they have padding to block the wind, and I can take the arms off and snap in a strap and wear them like goggles. I will probably be wearing these more because I just ordered a half helmet. PA doesn’t require helmets, even though I wear it anyway, NJ however does require you to wear one and I ride there often because of the beach towns. Anyway, I think the Bobsters were like $45 which is fairly cheap for glasses that are actually made for riding
Thanks mmart! Only issue is heaven forbid I try a pair of glasses on right now, and not buy them cause they don't fit right! Our way of life is changed for who knows how long, but for a long time for sure. This virus really sucks! I think for most people it's over rated, but I realize a lot of people are not in the "most people" crowd, so I understand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm legally blind without specs or contacts. With contacts, I wear the dark safety glasses they hand out at the power plants.

They had these for a while, but there are different styles, full frame, etc. Almost all are wrap-around.
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-Glasses-19823-Eyewear/dp/B000NP8U1I

$7.88 doesn't seem too terrible.

I like having the dark shield on my helmet, with dark glasses on too, almost don't even notice the sun eating me alive.

I keep a pair of clear glasses in the saddlebag for when I'm out at night.

Wind will blow contacts right out without glasses on. Had to quit contacts, wore them too long and created a problem with blood vessels in my eyes.

Clip-ons for Rx glasses blow right off. Transition lenses are expensive and don't get nearly dark enough, and won't fully darken if you're in a car. Pretty useless.

Going with two pairs this time, clear and Deep Space Dark.
I ordered the pair off Amazon you linked to. I will try em out. Can't beat the price. I can use my clear safety glasses at night. I'll let ya know how it works out, if good, I may order the yellow lens to wear at night. Thanks again, Spockster!

Reactions: Paulywog

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Dollar Tree has wrap around sunglasses for $1. Harbor Freight currently has wrap around safety sunglasses in dark and yellow for $1.50 with coupon.

If your eyes water, it may be dry eye. I've got it.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Thanks mmart! Only issue is heaven forbid I try a pair of glasses on right now, and not buy them cause they don't fit right! Our way of life is changed for who knows how long, but for a long time for sure. This virus really sucks! I think for most people it's over rated, but I realize a lot of people are not in the "most people" crowd, so I understand.
Well yeah that’s a good point, I think I purposely forget the world is a bit crazy right now. Can’t wait until this whole mess is in the rear view

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dollar Tree has wrap around sunglasses for $1. Harbor Freight currently has wrap around safety sunglasses in dark and yellow for $1.50 with coupon.

If your eyes water, it may be dry eye. I've got it.
Thanks, flitecontrol - Neevr thought of Dollar Tree. Never been in one, and they built one 7 or 8 minutes from my house like 3 years ago. Although I ordered a pair off Amazon to try, I think end of this week I will zip to that store and take a look. No doubt I will end up with more than just glasses, if they have them, but it's always a good deal! That what my side bags are for :) :smiley_th

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Places like Lowe's and hardware stores usually have some good ones too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Spockster - The pair I ordered from Amazon should arrive Thursday. Great timing, as the weather is finally going to be up to 80 degrees here in So. Maine, a good chance to take a long ride and try them out. I actually have to go to Lowes today, but before I end up with 20 pair of different glasses, I'll get feedback 1st on the ones on the way, lol.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Hey Spockster - The pair I ordered from Amazon should arrive Thursday. Great timing, as the weather is finally going to be up to 80 degrees here in So. Maine, a good chance to take a long ride and try them out. I actually have to go to Lowes today, but before I end up with 20 pair of different glasses, I'll get feedback 1st on the ones on the way, lol.
Yeah, you don't need a desk drawer full of glasses, like Fred Sanford. 🙂

Had to spark up the AC yesterday, and need it right now. We're done with the cold weather finally.

Makes me want to ride, ride, ride. Just about ready to go look at the new Honda Talon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Had to spark up the AC yesterday, and need it right now. We're done with the cold weather finally.

Makes me want to ride, ride, ride. Just about ready to go look at the new Honda Talon.
LOL @ Fred Sanford - I watch that all the time, I DVR it along with All in the family. The Talon is a beast, but unless I travel way north, there is nowhere for me to use such a sweet ride, I wish it was built road legal for over 20 grand in cost! I don't even use my 660 Grizzly, has been covered up for 3 years. Out of staters have bought up all the land here, it's horrible. I do really like those Polaris Slingshots though. Really cool looking, side by side, and I don't have to remember to put my feet down, lol. We never have too many toys!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts

LOL @ Fred Sanford - I watch that all the time, I DVR it along with All in the family. The Talon is a beast, but unless I travel way north, there is nowhere for me to use such a sweet ride, I wish it was built road legal for over 20 grand in cost! I don't even use my 660 Grizzly, has been covered up for 3 years. Out of staters have bought up all the land here, it's horrible. I do really like those Polaris Slingshots though. Really cool looking, side by side, and I don't have to remember to put my feet down, lol. We never have too many toys!
The Oreion Reeper is street legal in 49 states, Maine excluded.
https://www.oreionmotors.com/reeper-apex

I have an old Foreman and a newer one I take to the farm, but thinking a nice seat with a backrest would work better for me. Honda Pioneer comes much cheaper, going to check it out too.

We're legal on any road with no paint stripes, and allowed on the been between back roads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have an old Foreman and a newer one I take to the farm, but thinking a nice seat with a backrest would work better for me. Honda Pioneer comes much cheaper, going to check it out too.

We're legal on any road with no paint stripes, and allowed on the been between back roads.
I'd love an on road vehicle with a back rest also. I broke my lower spine in 1996, at 26 years old and am paying the price more every day. Took a wipeout off my 500cc two stroke Suzuki quadzilla. Was an amazing machine, but I am slowing down a bit more and enjoying whats left of the ride of life. I have never heard of the Reeper until now. I have just scoured the net, and I LOVE this machine! It appears I can buy one fairly close by. It is apparently road legal here in Maine, however only as a low speed vehicle with top speed of 25mph. Screw that, I want the 65mph+ version if I am going to drop the cash. Why Maine has to be the only state where only the low speed version is legal on road is beyond me. The forum I saw that info in was from 2013 though. I'm surprised I have never heard of it yet. Wonder if the law is still the same... I have had a Jeep CJ since 1994, and it is original body, custom built, and flies like the wind. Custom built frame and everything, built it myself. However, it's a bit high, and throwing my leg up in the air to get in is beginning to catch up to me. It is always garaged unless driven. Never seen rain or snow. I'd sell that and buy a Reeper to park in that bay of the garage if it were legal to have the high speed version in Maine now... Perhaps I should call a dealer and ask them if it's still the same.. Dammit Spockster, I have no more mortgage, and no real bills other than utilities, and you have to lead me into temptation, lol.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts

I'd love an on road vehicle with a back rest also. I broke my lower spine in 1996, at 26 years old and am paying the price more every day. Took a wipeout off my 500cc two stroke Suzuki quadzilla. Was an amazing machine, but I am slowing down a bit more and enjoying whats left of the ride of life. I have never heard of the Reeper until now. I have just scoured the net, and I LOVE this machine! It appears I can buy one fairly close by. It is apparently road legal here in Maine, however only as a low speed vehicle with top speed of 25mph. Screw that, I want the 65mph+ version if I am going to drop the cash. Why Maine has to be the only state where only the low speed version is legal on road is beyond me. The forum I saw that info in was from 2013 though. I'm surprised I have never heard of it yet. Wonder if the law is still the same... I have had a Jeep CJ since 1994, and it is original body, custom built, and flies like the wind. Custom built frame and everything, built it myself. However, it's a bit high, and throwing my leg up in the air to get in is beginning to catch up to me. It is always garaged unless driven. Never seen rain or snow. I'd sell that and buy a Reeper to park in that bay of the garage if it were legal to have the high speed version in Maine now... Perhaps I should call a dealer and ask them if it's still the same.. Dammit Spockster, I have no more mortgage, and no real bills other than utilities, and you have to lead me into temptation, lol.
May as well pull you under with me. There's a lot of pressure being debt free, pressure to buy sumptin new.

When I first saw the Reeper, they were illegal on Maine roads, so at least they softened their stance on them.

Last I checked, they had a 3cyl Chery engine, designed and/or built by GM. I would have to have a test drive before buying, don't know what the MSRP is now, used to be $12k, been seeing used ones around $7-8k.

Limiting to 25mph seems like it just creates a hazard. Someone will be tempted to head down a highway with 35-55 speed limit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts