Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forum and have a 1994 Vulcan 750 bought it last fall and close to the end of November it wouldn't start. Decided to put it away for the winter and work on it early this year. Got it out in March and figured out it was the Starter Solenoid that went bad, replaced it and it fired no problem... Then 2 months later I have the same problem, replaced it again and it was working fine for about 3 weeks and it went bad again, had the starter torn apart and checked out and there was an internal bushing that was dry so that got fixed. Was mainly just looking for anyones help if they have ever heard of this problem or have any clue what could be causing it or if I probably just got unlucky and got a bad replacement the first time or if something could be causing them to go bad. Thanks for reading!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
welcome to the madness! :beerchug:
not to worry, you've are at the right place for answers about the Kawasaki Vulcan 750. not only do these people on here know everything about Vn750's, but they are a great bunch of people. :rockon:

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
The starter gets worn and drags, pulling too many amps, it keeps working for a while but the extra heat burns the contacts in the solenoid. Burned contacts can lead to them welding themselves together, at which point you have a starter that won't stop. Or, the contacts just stop working.

edit: As far as parts quality, there's no telling if a new part will be good until you give it a test. I don't think there's much quality control these days. Sometimes you're better off with a used OEM part than a new replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter was taken apart and rebuilt and is fine I just can't seem to figure out what else would be causing me to go through solenoids/relays like I am

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I thought the starter redux came with the last solenoid .... Could still be pulling too many amps. Or have you had to crank it a lot to get it going?

Defective parts?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
bgefore you buy another oem starter relay go to the local parts house and get a four post starter solinoid for a riding lawn mower they sell for around 10 bucks here and they are better quality than the oem

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
bgefore you buy another oem starter relay go to the local parts house and get a four post starter solinoid for a riding lawn mower they sell for around 10 bucks here and they are better quality than the oem
^^^X2^^^ been running a lawnmower Solenoid for a few years.. no problems.. its rated at 2 times the cca of our batteries, so it should work just fine even if the starter shorts out to ground.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nice tip. I had no idea. Definitely something to file away for future use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't take too much cranking to start up. It seems to have more trouble when the bike is hot I've discovered. Once the relay is going it has troubles starting and will eventually crank after some trouble then when the relay goes it just clicks at the relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also I was told to do a charging system check and when I did the battery never dropped below 12.6 volts at idle and never went over 14.8 v when revving around 5k rpm

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
First-Welcome to the forum....
Noticed your user name is Rifleman1854, if you are a shooter there is over in the goats belly a thread "got me another firearm" that some of us occasionally talk about guns & shooting... Sorry I couldn't help with the starter relay question...
PS-My Sportster model has a bit of a relay problem, so they say, I haven't in 30k mi., but both relays are the same (starter & system) so I am going to pick up an extra...
FOB---Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the lawn mower solenoids direct fit for tbe 750's or is there some modifying that has to be done?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
the little two wire plug for the oem will have to be removed and two female spade connectors put in its place thats all and a few zip ties to hold it in place

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I just came across a bad starter relay and decided to open it up to see how it was put together.
I was not impressed by the design....the contacts are half round and stationary....the coil sends a plunger to gap the contacts. I am not surprised how easily they can fail since the contacts arc and foul with carbon....especially since the contact surfaces are not perfectly flat inside. and the plunger may not equally contact both surfaces.....arcing and charring is the common issue which causes them to stop conducting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And just went through another yesterday. Don't get what it could be if anyone has any idea I would appreciate help. Seems to have trouble when then bike is hot too like if I stop for a bit after riding for a while.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
And just went through another yesterday. Don't get what it could be if anyone has any idea I would appreciate help. Seems to have trouble when then bike is hot too like if I stop for a bit after riding for a while.
How many now?

It about has to be the starter motor. It has to be drawing enough amperage to exceed the solenoid design parameters. Break an old, failed solenoid apart and see it heat is the destructive force.

HTH.

edit- how long a time do you have to crank before start? If a considerably time, that is probably the issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts