Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm still a newbie to motorcycling; my first bike is this '86 VN750, and I'm digging it. I have a 3/4 helmet that I've been wearing open-faced. I like the wind in my face. Or so I thought.

Yesterday I hit my first "gnat cloud," an experience I won't soon forget. It was like somebody threw a handful of BBs in my face. I must've ate a dozen of those bugs and right as I was spitting out/swallowing the pesky little bastids, I hit another cloud. This time, they went for the eyeballs. Lucky for my the lenses of my glasses too the worst of it. I managed to pull over without incident. But, man, that was totally unexpected. Ah, the joys of riding!

I think I'm gonna start wearing my face shield...

Oddboggle

·
Now what
400 Posts
I have a scratch on my Symax just outside where my mouth is from the rock thrown up by the bus I was behind just weeks after I started riding. Saved me a fair amount of discomfort, and maybe a tooth.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
here in dallas we have rock hallers that never cover their loads and people carrying loads of sand in their pickups or on trailers.....the rockhallers i get by as fast as possiable....but the people carrying sand.....i've had the feeling of sandblasted up to a 1/4 mile beind them on windy dry days b4....makes me glad i have a windshield and full face...my arms and hands still get some pain though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Watch out for the trucks hauling beauty bark...you may not see it, but there is usually a cloud of tiny "needles" behind them. Learned the hard way to keep the shield down.
Ride safe
Ride alert
RIDE

Chic Bumgarner (glydrgydr)
Sumner, WA
VROC #14560
'04 VN750 "Windsong"
Westco MF battery & charger connector
Digital voltmeter/temperature/clock
chrome wide levers
Memphis Shades "Demon" windshield
Chrome ride bell (thanks, Dianna)
Willie & Max saddlebags

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Yep! It's like "what part of the body or face do you want to sacrifice"! I wear a full face flip up helmet that has a nice scratch right near my left eye where a piece of gravel glanced off. It's hot in Texas with that helmet, but I'd rather sweat than bleed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
People sometimes give me flack about my helmet and then I tell them about: 1) the time the rock flipped up off the semis tire in front of me and cracked my old helmet right between my eyes. At 70 mph that probably would of left a mark either from the rock or the interstate surface...or...2)the time the transmission line broke on the tour bus and blew scorching hot hydraulic fluid ALL over me. HOT but at the same time slippery as sh*t so I couldn't make any sudden moves to avoid the fluid or the traffic. Either way if I didn't have my helmet on.....BTW it's a AGV full face flip up helmet now, the old one was a nolan diamond. Ride on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts