Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever mounted a set of Givi E21 saddlebags on their VN750? I've been wanting to put a good set of hard, waterproof bags on my bike and the Givi looks like a good choice. However, none of the stock adapters made indicate any compatibility with the VN750. I also asked one of the dealers that sell Givis and they were no help either. I am pretty sure I can figure out a way to make them work, but will probably have to modify some Givi adapters (which ones I'm not sure). I hate to buy them first though, without knowing about someone else's success (or failure).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you considered LeatherLyke bags? They're hardbags, you can get them sleek and modern looking or with conchos and studs (which I have). They mount pretty easily, and other than having to relocate the rear turn signals they're awesome. I use them for grocery shopping, errands, they're like having a suitcase on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,094 Posts
From my understanding, Givi does/did make the correct hardware supports for our bike...but does not offer them in the US. One of our members in Malaysia found a set , and managed to get another one sent here for another member. I checked the Givi US site and learned that they do not offer the supports here, and am unsure what country you would have to go to in order to find them.
The owner with the set here has sold his bike, but I may be able to track down some photos of the supports. As to which ones they offer here that could be "altered" to work, have no idea...but I figure the photos would help in this regard.

KM

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Also, Willie & Max has a universal set of bag supports. Have not heard from anyone that has tried them yet though. However from the way they are designed they should work.

RB

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the ideas.

I've looked at the Leatherlyke bags. They are nice, but the current price of $ 460 is a bit hard for me to justify.

Knifemaker, it's good to finally hear about someone that actually got some mounts, even if they are not around anymore. I had contacted GIVI USA a long time ago and they were no help. Relocating the turn indicators in the way you illustrate in your photos looks great, and I may utilize that in my final solution. The Kawasaki saddlebag mounts (which I have) do not relocate the indicators far enough back to clear the Givi bags.

Non-GIVI universal bag supports are not likely to work with the GIVI bags as they require a special adapter that the GIVI bags lock on to. The GIVI E20 bags (what I plan to get) are really lockable hard luggage.

I've got some thoughts on how to do this now. After I purchase them and get them mounted sometime in the next few months I will post some photos and details on what I had to do to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
12,094 Posts
Wall...

I tracked down the Givi supports to the impressive guy that has them, and, long story short , I will buying them from him. I will post photos of them for you to compare to the other current offerings by Givi USA if that would be of any help to you. At some point I will likely begin fabricating something simular and offering through Metric Custom Creations.
http://www.metriccustomcreations.com/

Knifemaker

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wall said:
Has anyone here ever mounted a set of Givi E21 saddlebags on their VN750? I've been wanting to put a good set of hard, waterproof bags on my bike and the Givi looks like a good choice. However, none of the stock adapters made indicate any compatibility with the VN750. I also asked one of the dealers that sell Givis and they were no help either. I am pretty sure I can figure out a way to make them work, but will probably have to modify some Givi adapters (which ones I'm not sure). I hate to buy them first though, without knowing about someone else's success (or failure).
I bought a pair of those bags and a framework to fit an 800 from a garage sale. I teach welding and had my students cut and fit the frame to my 750 much like the saddlebag supports fit. They looked alright but they vibrated terribly and I took them off and haven't worked on them since. I thought about adding the trailer hitch framework shown in Knifemaker's pics and attaching them there to stabilize the framework to reduce the vibes. I have fitted a set of leather bags on mine now but will definitely go with the Leatherlyke, when I can afford them or attach the hitch framework.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Givi Saddlebag Update

I finally got my Givi saddlebags and now have them mounted. I think they look great and I finally have lockable, removable, waterproof, hard cases on the bike.

GIVI USA will tell you that they do not sell any mounts that will work on the VN750. That is not exactly true. You do need to have the Kawasaki saddlebag supports first and then the rest is easy. You need to purchase the GIVI Model N150 Wingrack II (complete with turn indicators), a couple of 3 1/2 inch long x 5/16 inch bolts (with washers and nuts), a couple of 1 1/2 inch long x 5/15 inch bolts (with washers and nuts), and a couple of short plates that can be bent around the saddlebag support rods and bolted. With all of that, the Wingrack II bolts directly onto the Kawasaki saddlebag support at the top and you clamp it to the support rod at the bottom. It makes a very solid mount. The stock Kawasaki turn indicators will be in the way, so those are discarded. Connecting the GIVI indicators that come with the Wingrack II requires that you replace the Italian bullet male electrical connector with a smaller one to fit the stock Kawasaki female connector. Once you have all the right parts, putting this together is really pretty simple.

All the GIVI monokey saddlebags will fit on the Wingracks. I chose the E-21 bags as they are the best size for the VN750 and are not as outrageously expensive as some of the others GIVI makes.

The photos below show the installation.

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Nice job Wally !

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
How much did each piece cost?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Kawasaki luggage saddlebag supports (part # K53021-094) I put on the bike about 2 years ago. The current price on those from Ron Ayers is $ 131.17.
The GIVI N-150 Wingrack II is available from Twistedthrottle.com for $ 126.54 (excluding shipping).
The GIVI E-21 saddlebags are available from Cyclestuffusa.com for $ 152.99 for the pair (including shipping).
The other bits of hardware needed should run less than $ 5.00.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Givi cases - waterproof

I have these same cases on my V-Strom and yes, they are waterproof. There is a rubber seal around the lid. These same racks will allow the attachment of any of the Givi Monokey luggage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
wow what a good looking bike, those saddlebags sure make a difference
opposed to throw over bags . I hope parts are availabe when I save enough money to purchase LOL . Robert

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the compliments on the cases and the bike. I am certainly pleased with how it all turned out.

It hasn't rained much around Atlanta lately, so I haven't tested their water tightness yet. But from what everyone says that has those cases, they should keep everything inside completely dry.

The places I mentioned in post #12 seem to have the best prices for the Givi and Kawasaki parts that I used (I did a lot of searching before buying).

I forgot to mention in my earlier post the ease of taking the Givi cases off the wingracks. Just turn the key, push a button, and lift them off. Very easy to take them inside when travelling. The photo below shows the cases off on the ground and one opened up (with stuff inside).

Attachments

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
just curious if you can use any of the wingracks. I am not exactly fond of those turn signals. also let make sure i read this right. The rack for the givi bags mount onto the saddle bag brackets on the bike (must be bought obviously). do you think the highway hawk brackets would work??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really couldn't say about how the other wingracks would work. I selected the N-150 because it has the turn signals attached. The N-151 is identical, except without the turn signals (and only $ 20 less in price). However, you cannot use the original Kawasaki turn signals unless you relocate them to the brake light (Knifemaker makes an adapter to do that). The position of the Kawasaki turn signals both in the original position or in the position that relocates them on the Kawasaki saddlebag support would interfere with the Givi cases. You do need to buy the Kawasaki saddlebag supports separately to mount the wingracks the way I did. I haven't seen the Highway Hawk brackets, so I have no idea about their suitability.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Great pictures and instructions on Givi use and installation.

Plan on updating my bags eventually and the Givi Bags look like a real
practical, and safe rigid bag to travel with.

The one question I have is where you found the short plates that can be bent around the saddlebag support rods and bolted? Do you remember what size they were? :motorcycl

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The "short plates" are the separator plates from a pair of 1 1/4" x 5/16" U-bolts that I got at the local Ace hardware store for a couple of bucks. I bent them around a similar diameter rod using pliers and a hammer to get the shape close enough to close it with a straight bolt & nut. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts