Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been talking about it well today i finished building the battery box. I have managed to shoehorn an SC30LFA 28ah 445cca into the vulcan. Here are pics of the new battery box. It still needs undercoated before it is installed. Many thanks to Hizzo3 for being the first to do this it was his idea. Sorry the pics aren't great but i took them with my phone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm going to ask a really dumb question but it's simple... WHY?
Looks supercool the battery cradle... really nice job...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The bigger the battery the better, if it will fit. Every vehicle I have ever seen came with a battery that was marginal for it. If you replace the battery, get the biggest battery you can squeeze into it. Unfortunately that is not an option with many bikes. The Vulcan 750 seems to have a starter issue. Even when connected to a car battery, it will not turn over nearly as fast as I think it should. My EX500 turns over more than twice as fast. It sounds like the Vulcan starter is dragging, which is probably the cause of many of it's starting problem complaints. I have a Peterbilt battery in my Ford pickup. Jerry.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well said Jerry I plan on adding the accel super coil setup since my coils test bad Tim is winding my stator, and I am replacing the r/r with the shindengen FH012AA so i figured the battery was all that was left. go big or go home. I have a friend who works for an electric motor repair shop who says he can look at the starter if it still doesn't spin up fast enough. Tomorrow i will post pics in the bike after the undercoating dries.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Would also appear to this electrical dunce that having a bigger battery will carry you farther towards home if your voltmeter should detect charging issues. But I've been wrong before.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is correct ths the 28ah capacity twice that of the stock size.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That almost qualifies it as an electric vehicle!

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i run out of gas i will put it in fifth and run on the starter.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I agree... I got pissed off a few weeks ago with the starter so I jumped my vn with a car battery and it started right up. 10.5 compression in a V twin? bet the starter is not strong enough to crank the way it should so it zaps too many amps from the system.

DT

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you need to replace it with a maintenence free battery. i was getting 2-3 years with a maintenence free battery

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I got almost 4 years out of a WestCo battery. I may get even more out of the one I have now, since I started using a battery tender. My first one went dead several times. I'm not sure about these AGM batteries, but when a typical lead acid battery goes dead, it does considerable damage to it, and reduces it's capacity. Jerry.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its the same with the agm my first one i left over winter no battery tender and in the spring dead it wouldnt hold a charge after i charged it.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I would like to hear how the bike handles the extra weight. Slow, tight turns might be a lot less stable. Straight down the road should be more stable. Tell us if it is noticeable.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the battery only weighs 20 lbs it wont be as bad as when i load the saddlebags when i am traveling. but then again i may not notice because i weigh 300lbs myself.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I wet-nursed a Sears DieHard Gold wet cell for 7 years in my VN and it's still going strong in my XS650 Yamaha 3 years later (w/o electric start).

If you maintain a good quality wet cell, they work just fine. I got tired of pulling the seat every 2-3 weeks to check the battery levels. I flip up the seat on my 650, check levels, attach the tender, and it's happy.

DT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts