Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1100 ACE Rider
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I hate to say it…:(but I am starting to wonder if my 86 VN750 is worth the trouble. I have never owned a bike that has had this many maintenance issues and constant problems. I am a pretty handy guy and can do a lot of mechanical fixes myself. BUT GOOD LORD:BLAM:. I have been trying to stop a stupid oil leak for months now. First it was the back ACCT, left bolt. I replaced the o-ring…still leaked. Used blue gasket sealant….still leaked. Now I am using gasket paper, which is doing better but not yet fixed. Plus, it is leaking from 1-2 other bolts right around that rear ACCT. Also….my second gear is slipping. What an annoyance that is. :dead_hors

Maybe I am over reacting…. I guess I will let a couple months this winter go by and decide then. I took a ride on my buddies Victory 1500 yesterday and it really was impressive. But……he paid BUKU bucks for his, I bought my VN for $300 and it wasn’t even running at the time. So I guess you get what you pay for.

But the fact still remains….after personal experience and what I here on this forum, every time I get on, these things have more maintenance than and old Harley!

Again….I want to stick with this ride….i was just hoping to get some more ride time than I did this year.

Thanks for letting me vent…lol

·
Registered
802 Posts
I guess I've been pretty lucky with mine. Bought it used with about 7k on the odometer. Up to 23k now. Has a rattle that I never have been able to find the cause of, but it's been pretty much gas and go. Starter went out, and I think the rebuilders have more to do with the related problems I'm having now than Kawasaki.

Looking at bigger cruisers for the long haul trips, but sure would like to keep the Vulcan for my daily ride to work. Light, easy to handle and more than enough power for the traffic.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
As I'm sure you're already aware, age....and how a bike was treated (or mistreated) by its previous owner(s)....has a lot to do with what you're currently experiencing with your bike.

On an older bike, especially one that is noticeably past 20 years old, you should obviously expect more problems than a newer one, anyway--unless it has truly been previously pampered and given extra special attention by its previous owner(s).

In the end, only you can decide if the extra effort to keep this bike is worth it.

You can either:

a) Opt to buy a newer VN750, and keep this one as a "project" or a "parts" bike; or....

b) Fix the bugs/problems with this one as they appear, and eventually you'll have an "oldy but goody"....

c) sell this bike on ebay/craigslist/locally...and buy a completely different bike altogether.

The Vulcan 750 is unique enough in the cruiser world that I would encourage you to choose either "a" or "b" above....they simply don't make cruisers/bikes like this one anymore (regardless of price)......!!!!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
^ +1, I believe theauhawk about nailed it... 24 yrs. is quite a bit on a bike, unless it has been really properly pampered, but of course its your call...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
my 86 has its ups and downs, but considering it's 25 years old it has been a great bike. I would really be upset to buy a new bike and have issues with it as I am sure it happens but you wouldnt expect it to, at least on a 25 yo bike it is to be expected and if they are just minor issues here and there I can deal with it!

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
The Vulcan 750 is unique enough in the cruiser world that I would encourage you to choose either "a" or "b" above....they simply don't make cruisers/bikes like this one anymore (regardless of price)......!!!!
Completely agree. How many other cruisers can keep up with the sportsbikes in twisties, and leave them behind on goat trails?

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
im over by toledo if you want to sell it i ll take it off your hands !!!!! seriously
ill even pick it up !!!!

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
My '89 is doing great... Of course, that's after Lance did about $1000 worth of maintenance to it about 10 months ago. :)

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Somebody has to say it!

To many "keep it! It's perfect!" posts here.

Maybe you DO need a new machine. I learned and rode 5000 miles on my VN750, had lots of fun. However, I got tired of "high maintenance" and being a bit too small, etc. I've owned a V-strom 650 sport-touring bike for a month now, and haven't cranked the Vulcan since. The Strom is everything the Vulcan wasn't: reliable, comfortable, cuts and turns like a cat. It's at least as fast as the Vulcan, maybe more. No regrets, and I can't stay off the new ride. :motorcycl

With that said, what TYPE of bike is the next question. For me, sport-touring made sense. I don't care about the cruiser look, I ride ATGATT hi-viz, commute and want to do some camping and fire roads. Take a minute to review what kind of rider you are, what kind of riding you do. Then window-shop and see what matches your urges.

I'm not going to tell you to ditch the VN750. I AM recommending that you give it a serious look. If the Vulcan is really that perfect for you, nothing else will steal you away. If it's not, then you NEED to be stolen by another bike.

Either way, GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Gotta agree here, $300 for a 20+ yearold bike that wasn't running when you bought it, you pretty much picked up a project bike. Give her some time and some TLC and I think you'll find it's a really good ride.

If you're really not digging the whole project bike thing, then I say get something much newer that you don't really have to work on.

Really what it all comes down to is you. Do you really want to fix this bike up? Do you have the time and money to invest to get it up to par? Do you just want something you can jump on and ride now?

If it were me, I'd hang on to it and do all the work it needs 1: to say that I did all the work and restored it myself 2: if anything goes wrong, I only have myself to blame and 3: sometimes if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

It's all comes down to you though. All we can do is give our advice and opinions.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
You mean there are bikes out there that you don't have to work on.. now why would I want one of those... I thought the whole reason of owning a bike was to work on it.. and riding the bike was a bonus.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I understand your frustration...I do. Mine was kind of the same way but I stuck with it for a couple of years and just rode the storm out. Now it runs fantastic and seems really dependable. I just keep up with all the preventative maintanance now. It is a machine so there's no guarantees.

So I aggree with the majority on this one....if you like the bike...stick it out. Otherwise finding a different bike might acheive your asphalt happiness!

Just don't part it out...give someone else a crack at it ~

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
You mean there are bikes out there that you don't have to work on.. now why would I want one of those... I thought the whole reason of owning a bike was to work on it.. and riding the bike was a bonus.
Slim, I think some remedial motorcycle therapy might help you, my friend. Ride first, fix if bad. Ride, fix - not the other way around.

I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today. Next week, same time? :D

·
1100 ACE Rider
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all of the responses on this. I am not ready to give up on her yet, but I will certainty keep you all informed if I am looking to sell. It is such a nice ridding bike, I would like to get it where it needs to be and have some fun with her before I eventually decide to upgrade. I just had a kid, so money is a little tight right now. This is what I can afford to ride. I am grateful I found this bike at the price I did…otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten to ride at all this year.

Anyways….i will keep you guys updated on my progress. At the very least it is a winter time project….lol

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Hey congrats on havin' a kid man!

If you get some time, let us know what you're working on and what you need to fix her. Tap the enormous wealth of experience that is this website. I promise, no matter what is wrong with your bike, someone here has fixed it before.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Congrats on the kid. I understand about money being tight. I have a 2 year old myself. Kids are expensive lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts