Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became the owner of an '86 Vulcan 750. The body is in great shape with the exception that some of the bolts on the bike have rusted heads. Can anyone recommend a good way to clean them or should I just go and buy new bolts?

Also, there is a bit of rust on the handlebars, front forks and rear shocks. If anyone could give me a few pointers on how to remove the rust it would be appreciated

·
Registered
120 Posts
Naval Jelly and a tooth brush will take the rust off. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when using the stuff as it will burn your skin pretty badly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. The only concern I have with using naval jelly is I am not sure if it is safe to use on chrome. Is this not the case?

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Tin foil cleaned the rust on my '89 took care of the chrome, and all of the stainless bolts and was cleaner just took a bit of elbow grease, the compacted folded foil was sharp enough to get into the bolt crevices I used a tooth brush with some WD-40 afterwards. I'll let you know how it holds up. A brass wirebrush might work well also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts