Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to move in a month or so, and here's the situation: My wife has to leave first in her Honda CR-V with the dog and the things she needs to start her new job. I will follow a week and a half later with a U-Haul and all of our other belongings. Between the two of us we only have that Honda and I have the bike, for which she is not licensed nor trained.

Neither of us have ever towed anything in a trailer ever, and I love my wife but I don't think she can handle the bike on the back of her Honda (more to the point, I doubt the Honda can handle it). However, at the same time I don't exactly trust myself with a fully loaded U-Haul on an 800 mile move (DC to central IL, and I'm particularly spooked about 1. DC traffic and 2. crossing the mountains) to be my first time towing my baby.

So, in the big picture I see 2 options because I AINT selling this bike. First is brave the U-Haul and trailer combo for a single trip and just white-knuckle it through the mountains I guess. Not thrilled with that for the above stated reasons.

The other, more comfortable alternative in my mind is to park the bike at a friend's place while I take the U-Haul to IL (a trip I have done before). When I get there, I unload the truck, rest for a day, then hop on a train back east with my gear. There, my friend picks me up and I start leg 2 touring the 800 miles home over a few days just to take it easy.

By car, road trip style, my best time straight through on this route was 12 1/2 hours. With the U-Haul there will need to be an overnight stop. I've never taken this bike quite that far before, but I'm betting I'll need to stop and rest up on the bike too. That makes option 2 probably a week-long process, but one heck of an adventure in my book! The only cross-country riding I've done on this bike was from DC to Atlantic City and back, but I just feel more comfortable in the saddle than with the bike in tow. I know this bike isn't exactly purpose built for long-distance cruises like this one and I'll probably walk funny for a week, but I think I can make it happen.

So, which one do I do??? Are my fears of towing unfounded?

If I trailer the bike, who can give me pointers on how not to catastrophically screw it up and wind up in a mountain ditch? The thoughts of that trailer bouncing around or swinging back and forth on a mountain road or in DC traffic scare the bejeezus out of me. :(

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
get a little bigger uhaul and strap it down in the back, or for the amount of money the extra trip would cost you 2x4's are cheap, build a small crate and pack it in, thats the route I would go!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Mebbe if ya added a location to yer profile, some could help ya better....where the fook are ya , and where ya going ????.....this vague sheit dont cut it bro.....you new guys need to start adding yer locations so others can help if needed and close....dig ???

If yer in the Northeast US....I'll run the bike out fer ya, and ya pay fer busfare back and food (and beer)......

·
Registered
54 Posts
trailering the bike behind the u-haul - as long as you have it firmly strapped down on a proper bike trailer - is a piece of cake. Just as long as you're going forwards. It's the whole backing a trailer up that's the hard part. Just don't drive balls to the walls and you'll be fine. Always the option of getting a bigger uhaul, and strapping the bike down inside it as well.

If you've done the DC to AC run on a bike before, and you're confident of your stamina and superslab riding, might as well get you some ironbutt training, and run the bike yourself. Would definitely be something to remember and make for a good story.

My best run from DC to Chicago - in a car, mind you - was like 11 hours. The stretch thru the mountains of PA was fun, but driving across OH and IN was bo-ring.

At the risk of sounding cliche, but YOLO. If you don't have any real deadlines to meet for the move, I'd vote for riding the bike after doing the uhaul thang. Plan accordingly and enjoy the trip on your bike!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
trailering the bike behind the u-haul - as long as you have it firmly strapped down on a proper bike trailer - is a piece of cake. Just as long as you're going forwards. It's the whole backing a trailer up that's the hard part. Just don't drive balls to the walls and you'll be fine. Always the option of getting a bigger uhaul, and strapping the bike down inside it as well.

If you've done the DC to AC run on a bike before, and you're confident of your stamina and superslab riding, might as well get you some ironbutt training, and run the bike yourself. Would definitely be something to remember and make for a good story.

My best run from DC to Chicago - in a car, mind you - was like 11 hours. The stretch thru the mountains of PA was fun, but driving across OH and IN was bo-ring.

At the risk of sounding cliche, but YOLO. If you don't have any real deadlines to meet for the move, I'd vote for riding the bike after doing the uhaul thang. Plan accordingly and enjoy the trip on your bike!
that just means you didn't take the right roads here in OHIO! lol

I'm guessing you took the turn pike all through OHIO?! :doh:

there are lots of options, you just need to get creative. but I think the easiest would be just to rent the bigger Uhaul and put the bike in the back. although that might not be the funnest way to do it. lol

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I would go with the slightly extra price of one size larger than your household belongings require and pack the bike in the truck. Drain the fuel completely and then just go. You know having a trailer behind you without experience is an accident waiting to happen and at some point you will need to back up. Although backing up a trailer is not difficult at all it does take some experience in tight places. Also that particular style trailer is not very visable in the side view mirrors due to its size (narrow and short) which increases the difficulty along with the light weight. I drive all sizes of trucks with all sizes of trailers at work and it bcomes second nature but that is with time which you do not have. Good luck with your decision and the drive.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
I'd ride the bike back and take my sweet time doing so.....how much fun could that be? Take a route through the Smokies, hit the Skyway and the Dragons Tail, have a beer of two in Gatlingburg, spend the night in motels where needed.
When you going to have a chance do do something like this again?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I'd ride the bike back and take my sweet time doing so.....how much fun could that be? Take a route through the Smokies, hit the Skyway and the Dragons Tail, have a beer of two in Gatlingburg, spend the night in motels where needed.
YEP!!! Bring the truck back since it would probably be the same price or cheaper to return it to the location you rented it from and drive the bike back! FUN TIMES WILL BE HAD BY ALL!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
like I said, get creative! :rockon: lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
get a little bigger uhaul and strap it down in the back, or for the amount of money the extra trip would cost you 2x4's are cheap, build a small crate and pack it in, thats the route I would go!
^^^^^ did this from Dallas to San Francisco and everything went perfect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the ideas, very helpful! I've got a plan now, since my brother volunteered to hop a train and meet me out here, so I get the best of both worlds. He drives the truck while I take the bike. It also means that any emergency equipment, toolboxes, etc. will all be in the cab of the U-Haul and I won't have to worry about weighing down the bike with too much crap. Should make for a good trip!

Perhaps one day I'll trailer the bike, on a shorter trip...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a similar problem when I moved from Utah to Wisconsin, but I had to tow my car with the U-Haul so I ended up putting the bike in the back of the truck. What I did was put together a platform by building a 4'x8' frame out of 2x4's and then put a sheet of plywood onto the frame, which made it nice and stiff. Then I put four eye bolts with over sized washers, one at each corner, and used one of these in the front center of the platform:

http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com/pingle_wheel_chock.htm

Then I was able to put the whole platform into the back of the truck and wheel the bike onto it and used cargo straps to anchor it down. Then I just packed all my stuff around the bike.

Worked great, the bike didn't shift at all and I would do it that way again if I had to move a long distance. The only part that worried me was getting the bike up and down the ramp, I was so afraid I was going to trip or something and dump it four feet onto the pavement. Didn't happen though and as soon as I unpacked it at my new house I took it for a ride to check out the neighborhood!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
tow the trailer with the bike in it, you got to learn sometime, everybody should know how to drive a trailer in my opinion.

take your time and be sensible, it will be ok.

kenny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Hey screw you hippie im from Texas if you ain't got a trailer hitched to your truck you ain't got a truck lol

I can back a trailer through the eye of a needle big trailers little trailers wide skinny it dont matter one bit im from the country fool

Just yankon your chain brother

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
Hey screw you hippie im from Texas if you ain't got a trailer hitched to your truck you ain't got a truck lol

I can back a trailer through the eye of a needle big trailers little trailers wide skinny it dont matter one bit im from the country fool

Just yankon your chain brother
here in Ohio, we put the trailer hitch on the front bumper of our cars. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts