Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a kx 550 as my first bike and i am all ready in love with it.
yesterday it started to rain so i had to move it and i was gonna go to sleep but instead as any one would have done i picked up a wrench. i ended up pulling the carbs and cleaning them, the gaskets all looked fine .does anyone know tricks on how to pop them back in. the air box i have is a pita to work with.
CAM00375.jpg

CAM00379.jpg

CAM00380.jpg

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I can only speak from the experience of working on the vn750 carbs but perhaps the situation is similar. On our carbs you leave the rubber boot from the front carb attached to the front jug and the rear carb boot stays on the carb. Maybe try attaching the boots to the airbox side of the carbs and leaving the other side's boots on the engine and see if you can kind of wiggle it into place. Putting my carbs back in I had to twist and wiggle them to get the boots worked back on right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There a pita on my CB750 as well, mostly, if there as old as mine there stiff and hard (talking rubber carb boots here) and don't flex well, I just use a little WD40 and add few choice words and it usually works. I keep threating to go with individual K&N's but can't justify the cost right now.
Good luck :smiley_th

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
thats what i was thinking being that it is a four carb set up just go with pod filters on the carbs

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i just need to go to the store and get a can of pb blaster (works a whole lot better than wd40 in my opinion) and keep fighting it, i also need things like line lubbers and stuff its an old bike that needs it. but hopefully in the next 2 weeks im riding it daily.
i had to order some new hand controls and tires any one try shinko before

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have shinkos on my bike. Have had them for about 5k miles so far. They seem to be showing very little wear and handle pretty good. For the price I can't complain at all.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
thats what i was thinking being that it is a four carb set up just go with pod filters on the carbs
the kz550 uses carbs mith mechanical slides,so they are farly easy to tune on a four(yes you need to re-jet if you use pods),as compared to a bank of cv carbs(altough you might have to search for the right jets) look into http://kzrider.com
also look into http://z1enterprises.com for parts.she's in great shape.i would say she's a keeper:smiley_th

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I bought a pair of Shinko 230 Tour Masters, should have my Ride On balancer juice tomorrow, then I'll break out the zip ties and have at it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok so i went and got my new tires put on today 30 bucks well spent ($10 a tire plus a $10 tip he had to clean out a **** ton of slime). i also took a hole lot of new pics and stuff here so everyone should go take a look just a few more man hours and it should be rideable :lockd:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does anyone know any gas tanks with speedo gauges that will fit? i know the vn800 tanks have them im wondering about size difference,handle bar clearance. i really just like the way they look. if i get the sport fairing for it then i might not get a different tank cause the gauges will be behind the fairing anyway but i am also looking to put drag bars or something similar.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
would look sweeeeeet wit a cafe fairing on her:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....lol....sorry....but it has a square gas cap ?....omg....lol....sorry...Im heavily medicated right now and its 7 hrs after my bedtime....but hey, really....for another tank, ya just gotta look at the frame backbone....is it a normal single, or a deformed double like the VN750 ?....if its a single, like on EN 454's, yer in luck....almost any tank can be made to fit with slight mods....check Paughco.com for the best aftermarket tanks....all shapes and sizes....V-Twin Mfg has some too.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i wasnt going to replace the tank just yet(want to ride her for awhile). just how the wires run now very time you take the tank on or off you snag the wires and throttle cables with shorter bars i now have the room in the wires to run it under the backbone(single) the way i want too. also found a fairing for 50 bucks hope the guy still has it so i dont have to get different turn signal brackets to mount to the forks they used to be on the handle bars and no longer have the room.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so i should get my carbs in the mail today got a set for parts off ebay so i dont have to fab a choke flap. i also ordered a new agm battery yesterday that should be here in a day or 2. i found a brake master cylinder off a ninja im need to pick up along with a shorter brake line. then an oil change and i should be set to get her fired. and will be able to ride her after i figure out how i want to mount the front turn signals. this is taking longer than i want (cant seem to find time to work on her )but im keep telling my self dont rush do it right it will pay off but i wanna ride now grrr:BLAM:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts