Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but in seems to me that cars are veering into my lane more than ever. They just don't seem to "see" me, even when I'm wearing my bright yellow jacket and white helmet. Fortunately, so far, they've "heard" me when I lay on my anaemic horn and bounce back to where they belong.

I recently purchased a Stebel Nautilus horn, but I haven't installed it yet (hope it's easy; I know nothing about electrical wiring). My hope is that it will help me stay alive.

Meanwhile, I will continue to ride as if I am invisible.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,724 Posts
try to stay out of the cage's blind spots. the problem I get is when the cage is moving into my lane is that the cage is crossing the double yellow line and comming right at me!! there is no way that I'm in there blind spot, they just don't look!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
A lady this morning pulled out of a side road in front of me, she had to turn left to enter the road and no one in front or behind me, I on my 1500 with the light bar, all three lights on. I had to nearly skid the bike to slow enough not to hit her. Then she was doing 30 and the speed limit is 55. I pulled around her and she was holding the cell phone up to her left ear! She had her window half down so I laid on the pipes when I went by her. Its nearly always the cell phone users! Man! :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I know a guy that is more adamant about being cut off than most,while riging around 270 a car almost took him out ,to say the least this old boy is excitable,This had to be back in the late seventies or early eighties when cars still had hollow extendable antennas ,this Idiot pulls up close enough to the car to kick it ,and that wasn't enough to do him,so at about 70 mph he jerked the antennae out of the car and started beating on it trying to get this guy to pull over and this went on for half a mile while the other two of us watched this circus act thinking we are all going to jail.well the car took an off ramp at a high rate of speed leaving John behind .and us relieved,when we stopped he said did you see that idiot?We just said yea ,we did we didn't ask which one.I believe I saw road rage invented that day ,today it would be on an episode of cops,I haven't seen him for about twenty years but ,He's living out your way now Fergy,he still calls Ted from some where in Texas.I hear he has calmed down a little, obviously God Loves every body or John wouldn't still be with us.

·
D2u
175 Posts
Still LMAO that's a great ,and funny story! Ah the good ole day's...

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Yeah, funny story haha, but one swerve and the rider is dead. Cagers may be asshats sometimes, but the law of tonnage says they win EVERY confrontation.

Avoid. Escape. Slow down or speed up, but get away. Live to ride another day.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I agree! It's funny in the sense that we can laugh about it now, but we all know that could have been bad for the biker if the cager had swerved just a tad. You're right, the bike loses every battle with a cage. And you never know what the cager is thinking. I don't believe most of them are trying to kill us when they do the ignorant stuff they do to nearly cause us to crash. Its easy to get blind angry when something like that happens to one of us, but you really have to survive to ride another day! There is no good way of putting a cager in their place, and violence certainly makes things go bad in a hurry. Beyond putting a camera on the bike that can shoot video full time, there really is nothing you can do but pay attention and keep your escape routes planned. The video would probably invade someone's rights anyway!

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
As I have to commute on a major highway to work and back, and in some reasonalby thick traffic, my usual game plan to not end up with a wrecked bike and a busted up body is to stay in the far left lane. I then pick out a nice expensive car driving on my right. BMW's driven by young Yuppie looking guys are the best bet. I position myself so I am riding right next to his left front wheel.
And I try to stay there. I know am not in his blind spot..I am in his forward view. If he for some unknown reason begins to slip into my lane, I can pick it up quickly as I keep an eye on his front tire. I leave enough space so if needed I can quickly accellerate ahead...or if need be I can brake hard and let him use my lane if traffic suddenly grinds to a halt.

Given the fact that none of the lanes move at the same speed...especialy in heavier traffic, I tend to jump ahead to the next car and follow the same plan..(but for some reason drivers of expensive sport cars seem to weave the least...even though one would think they would do it the most)

I also try to keep a "regular" car in front of me, even if I have to move around to do so. My thinking here is if I have to run into the back of something..I'd rather it be a car I can tumble over as opposed to a van or tall SUV which are basicly flat walls.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but in seems to me that cars are veering into my lane more than ever. They just don't seem to "see" me, even when I'm wearing my bright yellow jacket and white helmet. Fortunately, so far, they've "heard" me when I lay on my anaemic horn and bounce back to where they belong.

I recently purchased a Stebel Nautilus horn, but I haven't installed it yet (hope it's easy; I know nothing about electrical wiring). My hope is that it will help me stay alive.

There is no time to waste EasyRector, get that Stebel Nautilus installed with a relay for maximum volume. I know you`re working for the Man, but we don`t want you to meet him face to face just yet. <BG>:smiley_th

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts

Yes, we are invisible.

Note on installing the stebel - make sure you use the recommended gauge wire. That thing pulls almost 20 amps, and it'll fry smaller gauge wire. I installed mine on my Ninja 650 a week or so ago and I LOVE IT!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Beyond putting a camera on the bike that can shoot video full time, there really is nothing you can do but pay attention and keep your escape routes planned. The video would probably invade someone's rights anyway!
Hey fergy, what do you think about getting Bones to build us a phaser cannon from the Enterprise, to mount on the bikes. Then we could just vaporize the offenders. :doh:lol

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stebel Nautilus

Well, I don't know anything about relays and not much more about wire guages. But I bought the Stebel Nautilus with the plug-&-play wiring harness which, theoretically, has everything I need...
•Easy as 1-2-3 instructions included
•Everything pre-assembled
•Heavy-duty 30 Amp relay
•20 Amp fuse
•14 feet of Heavy-duty wire
•Insulated terminals
•Protective sheath
•Wire ties included

Considering all this, along with previous posts on this site... I figure that I will be able to handle it. Plus Fergy said he'd even take an SOS phone call!

Unfortunately, I'm riding to the Bonnaroo rock festival in TN early in the morning, and I don't have the time to install it before I leave! (I'll take pics and report in within a week or three.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts