Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 VN 750. It recently started running really hot, but the gauges read fine. It smells hot, and also dies after about 30 minutes of riding. Then has to cool down before starting again. Also when I'm riding, I believe the engine is clattering really loud. It does clatter while park though, no matter how much I throttle it up. And I can't seem to locate the clattering while riding. The temp gauge never passes the midway symbol, but the fan has kicked on a lot more than before. I've checked all the fluids and such,, but no luck..
I'm looking for opinions or advice on possible problems.. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very peculiar. Is the clattering enough to shake the whole bike? Does the bike idle fine other than clattering? Also assuming you checked for sufficient oil level and viscosity during the all fluids check. I'd get the oil out of there and check it for any "shavings". If the clattering is something loose in there could be shorting out a wire somewhere potentially?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.. I checked the oil and water.. then went for a ride to see.. it only clattered at higher speeds.. well,, it shutdown on me on the highway,, so now it's broke down on the highway.. gotta find a way to get it home

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Possibly was running lean? Pipes turning blue? Dirty carbs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if you got the latest ordeal.. but I went riding around.. hit a back highway and it started clattering louder,, so I turned around trying to make it back home.. but it lost power.. I had the throttle pegged trying to get off the highway,, but it'd only go 35.. pulled over and it died.. pushed it up to a guy's house and returned the next day..it started right up..but also still clattered real loud..so I left it there until I can get a trailer..

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Do you have any video of it making the noise? If not no worries. I wouldn’t start it just to make a video if you’re having isssues. Do you still have the stock cam chain tensioners?
Here’s an example of one failing. It sounded even worse in person.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly,,, I don't know what all is stock or not on this bike.. I bought it knowing that it had a bad stator..so I replaced the stator ( by tuxedo mod) and rectifier... Put about 1000 miles on it.. then it started lightly tapping about a week ago.. I checked the oil and coolant systems.. plugs and obvious..but found nothing.. it just felt hot while riding,, smelled hot,, and the fan was kicking on more.. but gauges read fine.. then it all of a sudden started clacking hard and louder.. then pretty much **** down.. I pulled it over hoping not to blow the engine..

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Sounds like the oil temp was up but the coolant temp wasn't.

If you look at the video, that's a stock tensioner. The MCCT will have a bolt, some threads showing, and a locknut against the tensioner body.

May be two problems, one that stalled it, and one causing the noise. If it's only one problem, it may be terminal.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Here’s an MCCT so you can see the difference.
I have these on mine since March and not a peep.

The only other question that comes to mind is where is the noise coming from? The top or bottom? The left or right side? That would make a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The noise sounded to originate in the upper front cylinder.. but it was only making the noise while riding above 50.. until it shut down.. because of having to be going over 50mph,, it was rather hard to locate source of noise..

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
The cam chain tensioners are about mid way through the cylinders, the valves are on top. I personally don’t have any experience with those so it wouldn’t be right for me to add any more ideas. I’d hold off for one of the real gear heads on here to chime in. Plenty on here have torn these bikes down and know it much better than I do.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Maybe a collapsed or stuck lifter, or a rocker arm jumped off. It does have a funky retainer setup on it.

Without hearing it, all we can do is guess though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe a collapsed or stuck lifter, or a rocker arm jumped off. It does have a funky retainer setup on it.

Without hearing it, all we can do is guess though.
thanks. .. that's what others are also saying. I finally got it home.. the clattering is constant now. . I have to charge the battery to start it.. the sound appears to come from the front cylinder head.. I plan on uploading a video of it if I can. .

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
One of the valve covers will come off with the engine in place, just don't remember which one. I figured it out once, and there was also a recent post saying the same.

Not moving very well or I'd go look at mine and try to figure it out again.

Thinking it's the front, just not sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to research and see if I have to pull the engine to remove the head. . it appears so. really not looking forward to that. .lol I'm pretty sure it's the front that's messing up

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Do you have the repair manual? Link in my signature.

Think you do have to pull the engine, because of the long studs. Have to lift the head maybe five inches, or more.

Have you seen Andrew Roth's rebuild videos on YouTube? About 20 parts, rebuild from start to finish in good detail with good tips.

Engine pull isn't too bad, looks worse than it really is, easier with a helper but many do it solo. I don't remove anything I don't have to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea,, I have a clymer or whatever it's called..lol it's a pretty in-depth manual. .
thanks for the info.. I appreciate it.
I took a couple of videos of it running, but I can't find out how to upload them..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's saying the video is too cool.
but I did notice smoke coming out of the exhaust of the cylinder..

1 - 20 of 86 Posts