Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently, I've had the right side "ear" on the gas tank just, sorta, crack in half... Not at the weld, but the metal itself snapped in half. I got that welded, put the tank back on, & next thing I know, 2 days later, the rear mouting ear snaps in half. Again, not at the weld, but the flat piece of metal just broke. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Oddly enough, same day as the second ear broke, my license plate decided to snap off somewhere on the road, leaving just the corner still on the bike...

·
2,519 Posts
So recently, I've had the right side "ear" on the gas tank just, sorta, crack in half... Not at the weld, but the metal itself snapped in half. I got that welded, put the tank back on, & next thing I know, 2 days later, the rear mouting ear snaps in half. Again, not at the weld, but the flat piece of metal just broke. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Oddly enough, same day as the second ear broke, my license plate decided to snap off somewhere on the road, leaving just the corner still on the bike...
License plate I've had snap, the ears on the tank I haven't heard of. Are the rubber grommets on the tank ears? If so maybe over tightened?

Reactions: WilliamTech3

·
Registered
124 Posts
License plate I've had snap, the ears on the tank I haven't heard of. Are the rubber grommets on the tank ears? If so maybe over tightened?
X2 ! .... molded factory grommets ?

WilliamTech3

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The grommets stayed in place, I'm talking about the 3 flat pieces that come off the tank themselves. I'll try to take a picture & post it if I can.

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
Never heard of these cracking. (Well, maybe once) ;)
Does your bike seem to vibrate a bit hard? The rubber cushions can get hard over time, and could contribute to putting stress on the mounting tabs. Someone may have installed the tank improperly in the past and/or over torqued the bolts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm honestly not sure how much it should vibrate considering I've never seen anyone else have this bike. It seems like manageable vibration levels, for now. I've removed & reinstalled the tank several times, so I was the last one to take it off. I just welded the tab back on & didn't tighten the bolts as hard as last time so let's see if it holds up with my "amazing" welding skills.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I'm honestly not sure how much it should vibrate considering I've never seen anyone else have this bike. It seems like manageable vibration levels, for now. I've removed & reinstalled the tank several times, so I was the last one to take it off. I just welded the tab back on & didn't tighten the bolts as hard as last time so let's see if it holds up with my "amazing" welding skills.
These bikes are pretty smooth, but I know they are capable of shaking bad with the dampers messed up. Do your mirrors shake at all? Do you notice your hands or feet tingling ?

I've got new dampers on the balancer but the mirrors do get fuzzy somewhere around 4th gear shifting to 5th, then they clear up. (aftermarket mirrors) Also have small tiedowns for my saddlebags, and one will shake a bit at idle. It's connected from my custom license plate/turn sig bracket to the back of the bag.

I've heard of license plates breaking, but never the tank tabs. Those are a lot thicker metal ... and mounted on rubber .. hmm. Does not compute.

Installed my damper gear 180° off time and I thought it was going to break my hands. Couldn't hang onto the grips, almost couldn't see them because grips were oscillating about 2-3". It was shocking. :surprise:

See if the gas looks like it's bubbling in the tank at idle.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
It's a buzz. Experiencing exactly the same on my KLR. I have to replace some soft frame bolts apparently because the buzz will break your bike in half. The licence plate on my VN looked like someone took a pair of tin snips to it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have aftermarket mirrors, they do vibrate at certain speeds & RPM's. There's a slight vibration at the handlebars & in the seat but nothing uncomfortable. Not really a buzz, but slight, dull vibration. I had also just realized, after looking at a parts diagram, that the previous owners put the wrong dampeners on the gas tank.... I will have to replace those as well....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts