Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the ear shave and have a spare tank lying about.

I was thinking of using a wooden broom handle and a rubber mallet to "dent" the bottom of the tank in an attempt to give me a little more space.

Any thoughts on banging "out" the bottom of the tank to increase the overall volume the tank can hold?

Did someone once post they had accidentally put a dent in the bottom of the tank when cleaning it with a pressure hose?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Why not something like this?

FUEL

FUEL II

FUEL III

I'm sure you can get them cheaper or on sale locally.

DT

·
Registered
143 Posts
Adding to this, I have a question... Would it be possible to take a stock tank from our VNs, cut it in half and make it larger welding in more medal? More or less just completely customizing the tank to be larger? Obviously handlebar clearance would be a concern... But, I was just thinking if I were to get a spare tank and have this done then it should, in theory, mount easily to the bike since all I'd be doing is expanding the size of the tank but leaving the mounts the exact same.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Someone on here took a 1500 tank and made it fit. Gained about a gallon I think. My 1500 only holds 4.2 gallons I think. I wish it was bigger too. Although, if I'm on a longer ride, I've gotten around 42mpg out of it, which isn't bad considering I only averaged 45 on the 750. The in town riding kicks me down into the mid 30's on the bigger bike. But do some checking on the 1500 tank on the 750. Maybe it is an option.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I am in the process of modding up a "Fat Bob" tank onto the VN... its a pita...9mainly due to the fact the doner tanks are in poor condition.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I've done the ear shave and have a spare tank lying about.

I was thinking of using a wooden broom handle and a rubber mallet to "dent" the bottom of the tank in an attempt to give me a little more space.

Any thoughts on banging "out" the bottom of the tank to increase the overall volume the tank can hold?

Did someone once post they had accidentally put a dent in the bottom of the tank when cleaning it with a pressure hose?
Denting the bottom would not increase the internal volume of the tank unless the metal was thinned and stretched. It seems likely that doing so would damage the welds. Do an online search for auxillary tanks.
The larger tanks from the 1500 and 1800 don't look right, to my eye. Cutting and enlarging sounds like an incredibly big deal for a marginal benefit.
The previous suggestion of carrying the little fuel bottles does not seem such a bad idea. You would have to make a stop, but it would be good in areas where fuel stations are few and far between.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The vulcan 500 tank will fit (with a few mods) and give you about half a gallon more but with 45 to 53 mpg I find it hard to believe that you won't be able to find a gas station to get fuel. I can get about 35 miles after going to reserve and if you don't come across a gas station in that range you must be very lonely out in the desert. lol

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I would agree that carrying fuel in some kind of fuel bottle would be the best. Anytime you make mods like has been discussed here you generally have other issues to overcome as a package deal. If I were going on a trip that was through an area that fuel was in question, I'd vote for carrying some kind of can or bottle that could be used if I had to.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Here's another idea: How about adding something like this to the back of the bike. If you have the sissy bar mod, you could mount this to the sissy bar just above the tail light and run a fuel line to a T and add capacity.

I came from this SITE

DT

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Those are a really good deal...

Hey Skalding, There are a few good posts on this forum about larger fuel tanks and auxiliary tanks.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12869

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5543

If I were to add an extra tank I'd go with one of these on the luggage rack.
http://www.tourtank.com/gfx/tourtank/customers/ttcustomers.html

Let us know if you attempt this mod. -Sloppy
I did a search for lawn mower gas tanks and realized this stuff isn't cheap. If I needed a larger fuel reserve, I'd go for one of the above. They look like fuel cells from a dragster, love it!

Check out this: Way too expensive.
Lawn mower tank

DT

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ok so heres a solution that will look awsome! Get yourself a NOS bottle and modify it to accept gas and pipe it to the tank on the bike. Mount it on the side of the radiator so it is veiwable and people will think you have a race rocket. lol Get 2 of them and you will double your capacity.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I also think a fuel bottle in the saddle bag or truck would do nicely... and a LOT cheaper. http://www.rei.com/product/784303
Just in case one runs out, pour it in and you have a 2nd chance to get a full tank up the road.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
When you start hanging extra tanks lower down on the bike, like next to the radiator or in the saddlebags, gravity won't get the fuel to the carbs alone. You'd need a fuel pump at that point $$$.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
796 Posts
When you start hanging extra tanks lower down on the bike, like next to the radiator or in the saddlebags, gravity won't get the fuel to the carbs alone. You'd need a fuel pump at that point $$$.

-Sloppy
True that but there was quite a bit of sarcasm in my last post. lol But where there is a will there is a way.

Edit - I'm thinking if I set out on a ride and my bike gets around 140 to 150 miles on a tank full at some point I will want to stop and stretch my legs so a fuel stop is a good time to do this. I more then often stop and get fuel before I hit reserve, so save your money on mods and put it into gas for the trip.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
My lawn mower has a fuel pump that runs off of the carb, intake vaccuum, just the same way that the petcock is turned on and off.
Also using seafoam bottles for fuel sounds like a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I like the seafoam idea.Heck even running straight seafoam...without breaking the seal...

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I went to the REI link that msh1156 input above. I've never seen these bottles before. The item narrative speaks of an MSR stove. Does this thing hold gasoline or is it specifically designed for a different kind of fuel? Is it safe for gasoline? I am somewhat leary of these bottles. Anyone use them yet? I hate to say this but I am having a mental moment. I can't remember how many ounces are to a gallon...... :(

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
8oz is about one cup. there are 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, and 4 quarts in a gallon. so if you do all that math you come up with 128 fluid oz. or you can jut go to wiki answers and ak how many OZ in a gallon... I did it both ways to check my math.. lol

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Fuel bottle...

I went to the REI link that msh1156 input above. I've never seen these bottles before. The item narrative speaks of an MSR stove. Does this thing hold gasoline or is it specifically designed for a different kind of fuel? Is it safe for gasoline? I am somewhat leary of these bottles. Anyone use them yet? I hate to say this but I am having a mental moment. I can't remember how many ounces are to a gallon...... :(
The fuel they're talking about is white gas, a purified version of the same stuff. Small backpacking stoves like the MSR Wisperlight use it. So, it is fine for regular gas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts