Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 98 and changed tanks. Tank has a breather tube but the gas cap makes a whistling sound after a ride. I put the 98 cap on the tank that I think is from the late 80' or early 90's. Normal?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdhunter02 View Post
the gas cap makes a whistling sound after a ride.

Blow out that hose from the cap opening with your compressed air and disassemble and clean your cap.

...thus avoiding a future POOGS issue also.

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yep^ Mine did that, kinda whistles.Like the others said blow that vent line out and when you take the cap off to clean it If it has a spring in it cut one coil off and that will make it have less tension on it and it will open easier and not open and close rapidly and cause the vibrating or whistling sound. It is common on 1500 and 1600's.

You can fix it or just tell your buddies, it's happy ,that's why it is whistling

:)

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would it cause hesitation at 60 mph? The bike is losing power at that speed.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Would it cause hesitation at 60 mph? The bike is losing power at that speed.
It can. It creates a back pressure in the tank that doesn't allow fuel to flow through the petcock into the carbs. If it's just enough to slow down the fuel flow, that would account for hesitation at that speed.

Another thing to make sure of is if your carb vent tube is routed to an area of dead air. If it is exposed to incoming air it can cause the issue described.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
mine did that until I ruined the rubber diaphragm in the cap and removed it....now it works fine without the whistle.
Heh, I removed that diaphragm too. Cut a piece of lawn mower filter and stuck in there just to make sure nothing could get it but it breathes perfectly now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts