Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what kind of mileage everyone is getting, especially since gas just jumped to 3.78 a gallon in Ohio today.
I have an 86 750 and it is getting 45mpg. how about the rest of you and what are prices in your locations?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
My bike has a mind of it's own and the mpg all depends on what kind of mood it's in. If It's feelin' good and/or riding with my buds NightHawk, and letting me get a little "spirited" with the throttle, mid 40's or so. (so it's not my fault if the bike passes the posted speed limit some!!)

If It's just cruisin' along, takin' it's time, enjoy the wind, the view and the freedom of ridin', mid to low 50's or so.

Last I remember seeing it, gas was about $3.599 (WTF is with that stupid .009¢
Not sure if it went up today. I try to avoid looking at the prices until I absolutely have to.:wow:

·
Registered
476 Posts
For some strange reason I get 50 with my wife and myself cruising at 80 mph. Fuel here is $3.45 a gallon

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just checked my '03 today. Right around 45, Sunoco Ultra 93 @ 3.959 :wow:

·
Kawika
441 Posts
getting around 52 mpg on 89 octane mostly highway around 60-65 with some jumping on it every now and then.:smiley_th
stations near home are asking $3.89 for regular unleaded:doh:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pussies! Stop complaining about gas prices! Can't stop inflation!
The price here is $4.29 a gallon. Does not bother me! I just have to make more money and everything is fine!
How much would you be comfortable with seriously? :rockon:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Stop complaining about gas prices! Can't stop inflation!
Can't say I've read anything about anyone complaining about the price except me askin' WTF is up with that .009¢ crap.:confused:

And Finallygot1, our bikes are made to run on the low grade fuel (the owners manual even suggests it) so there's no need to go with the Ultra.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I'm getting around 50mpg on a 90-mile RT commute to work running on 87 octane (with an occasional sploot of Seafoam for good measure).

Vylk99, true inflation is an issue of demand exceeding supply. If that were the case now, the oil companies would not have demonstrated record profits over the last two quarters of earnings - they simply would've passed on their higher costs to consumers and earnings would've been flat. I know US gas prices have been held artifically low (historically) by this non-free-market; I'd prefer a free market and higher prices. But right now, the Powers That Be are making more money off our backs than ever. As Tim said, I didn't see anyone complaining about the prices, either, but, really, we should be - this isn't inflation, it's robbery and it's an outrage. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm getting around 50mpg on a 90-mile RT commute to work running on 87 octane (with an occasional sploot of Seafoam for good measure).

Vylk99, true inflation is an issue of demand exceeding supply. If that were the case now, the oil companies would not have demonstrated record profits over the last two quarters of earnings - they simply would've passed on their higher costs to consumers and earnings would've been flat. I know US gas prices have been held artifically low (historically) by this non-free-market; I'd prefer a free market and higher prices. But right now, the Powers That Be are making more money off our backs than ever. As Tim said, I didn't see anyone complaining about the prices, either, but, really, we should be - this isn't inflation, it's robbery and it's an outrage. Just my 2 cents.

I dont see the gas prices high at the moment. It is around $8 a gallon in Europe:doh:! It is time we get a taste of what is coming! You are right the gas prices have been held artificially low(for now). Inflation is there and is about 4% every year. The way i see it is everything else that keeps getting more expensive with inflation that should worry us more, because salaries are not keeping up with it. Now that is scary! The Middle Class of America is disappearing!
The bottom line is: The prices are going only higher and you cannot control it, so get used to it and make more money, because $7.999 a gallon of petrol may be coming :rockon:

Deep inside all of you were comlaining and now you did Crobins365!:beerchug:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I dont see the gas prices high at the moment. It is around $8 a gallon in Europe:doh:! It is time we get a taste of what is coming! You are right the gas prices have been held artificially low(for now). Inflation is there and is about 4% every year. The way i see it is everything else that keeps getting more expensive with inflation that should worry us more, because salaries are not keeping up with it. Now that is scary! The Middle Class of America is disappearing!
The bottom line is: The prices are going only higher and you cannot control it, so get used to it and make more money, because $7.999 a gallon of petrol may be coming :rockon:

IMHO...anyone who can afford to pay these prices for gas must have more money than they know what to do with. Try telling this to the handicapped or the elderly who live on fixed incomes of $400.00 a month. If fuel was $7.999 a gallon and they filled up their cars it would cost $128.00 for a 16 gallon tank. Take that away from their check leaves them with only $272.00 to pay their bills and buy food for the month. How could they make more money? The truth is there is a total lack of respect for the poor and elderly and the sick in that we just find them to be disposable. Lets take away their health care and their rights to drive and eat. It their fault they can't, I mean all they have to do is make more money right?? But thats just my 2 cents :) Can't we just get along??? LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am getting 50-55 mpg in mixed driving, highway and around town. Of course if I run 65 to 70 mph it does get worse, my guess is around 48-50mpg. These are not econo scooters. Heck my Honda civic gets 40 mpg commuting back and forth to work.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
You're right, Vlyk, I guess am complaining, and maybe that was subminated in others' comments, too. But - and not speaking for others - I am not complaining because of "inflation," (which was the rationale you presented). Inflation - in its purest economic form - is not why gas prices are high at the moment. Our prices went up a penny a day between mid-March and mid-April, and then earnings reports were released in late April and oil company profits were at record highs. The juxtaposition of those two events - rampant capitalism in a faux free market - is my issue, not the cost of gas per se. And, I don't know about you, but my earnings aren't going up at the rate of a penny a day, so how we're all gonna "keep up" is a little beyond me at the moment. :wow:

·
Registered
206 Posts
definately in Chicago and Crook County:dead_hors
Hahahahaha:beerchug:

IMHO...anyone who can afford to pay these prices for gas must have more money than they know what to do with. Try telling this to the handicapped or the elderly who live on fixed incomes of $400.00 a month. If fuel was $7.999 a gallon and they filled up their cars it would cost $128.00 for a 16 gallon tank. Take that away from their check leaves them with only $272.00 to pay their bills and buy food for the month. How could they make more money? The truth is there is a total lack of respect for the poor and elderly and the sick in that we just find them to be disposable. Lets take away their health care and their rights to drive and eat. It their fault they can't, I mean all they have to do is make more money right?? But thats just my 2 cents :) Can't we just get along??? LOL
It is all true man! It is a problem for those people.

You're right, Vlyk, I guess am complaining, and maybe that was subminated in others' comments, too. But - and not speaking for others - I am not complaining because of "inflation," (which was the rationale you presented). Inflation - in its purest economic form - is not why gas prices are high at the moment. Our prices went up a penny a day between mid-March and mid-April, and then earnings reports were released in late April and oil company profits were at record highs. The juxtaposition of those two events - rampant capitalism in a faux free market - is my issue, not the cost of gas per se. And, I don't know about you, but my earnings aren't going up at the rate of a penny a day, so how we're all gonna "keep up" is a little beyond me at the moment. :wow:
I got you Crobins! I aggree with you here!:rockon:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Why is anyone using anything except 87 octane in their 750? It isn't needed and in fact can cause more fuel consumption.

From the Vulcan Versus:

There is a difference between "Research Octane" and the octane listed at
the pump (R + M)/2. The lower octane fuel burns easier and more
completely. Premium fuel is only for engines that are designed to use it.
The VN750 is not, so use regular 87 octane.

Jon

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
On the way to work this morning I road with a Wing rider. Tach was at 5,500 - 5,700 RPM for about 18 miles of interstate. Every time I looked down at the fuel gauge it was lower.

On gas price issue figure this: In 1972 I was driving my parents Mercury Marquee with a 460 getting 8 - 10 MPG with gas between $.80 cents to $1.25 a gallon. A 100 mile trip would cost about $10.

Now we have 40 MPG cars at $3.50 a gallon so... that same 100 mile trip would cost $8.75 in today's market. Even at $4/gal that's $10 for the trip in a modern car.

Oil cartels saw if they didn't raise prices, they were going to loose big time due to EPA mileage standards & restrictions. A MAJOR issue with my family's income is we can't afford a new car that gets the high mileage. Anyone have VW diesel for sale?

How do I fight the prices? I can't remember the last time I drove a car to work and in the Northwest, that's either gutsy or stupid.

DT

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Gas here was $3.39 last time I filled up. Cindy you are right the oil companies post record profits every quarter. They are taking advantage of us by using every excuse in the book to raise their prices.
That being said I've paid the high European fuel prices when I lived over there. In Germany the train station was only 2 blocks from the house and it ran every 1/2 to 1 hour throughout the day. In Wyoming we have little or no public trans and the nearest town when leaving Cheyenne is 45 miles. You can bet when I leave town the tank is full. Sometimes the closest fuel is over 80 miles away.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts