Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Put music to our troubles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah what a start to a Saturday.

I was getting the bike up on the center stand to flush and drain the cooling system when the bike got away from me. I knew I couldn't hold it up, but I was able to let it gently rest on the right side (right footpeg and handle bar were the only thing that rested against the ground).

Immediatly about a cup of gas leaked out, but I don't know from where. Is this something I should be concerned about? I checked everything and I can't see a leak and nothing was bent or dented. Was this just the gas that was sitting in the carbs dumping out the air filter?

Is there something I should do before I turn it on this afternoon?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Probably from the carb vent tube that goes to the right airbox. It lets air out of the carbs so gasoline can flow in. Tipping the bike on its side makes the system work in reverse;)

Just let it air out a bit and sit vertical before you fire the engine again.

edit: and if you have a prime setting, get some more fuel in the bowls. You can also pull the hose off of the left vacuum port and suck on it, or hook a syringe up to it and make a vacuum that way.

·
Put music to our troubles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I feel like a real dufus. I'll let her dry out for a bit before starting up.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I think Bazooka is right on here! Ive almost done the same thing a time or two :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's not really so much about the gasoline as it is letting any oil that seeped past the rings back down into the case, as well as air bubbles in the coolant rise to the top... but it looks like you will have that covered anyways.

Don't beat yourself up, you didn't even hurt her.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
When I had my accident in June 2008, the bike ended up laying on the right side for just a few minutes before I asked some bystanders to put it back on the stand. My friend came out and rode the bike home for me an hour or so later. I don`t recall if any gas leaked out or not. If my experience is anything to go by, you should be good to fire it up after an hour or two. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts