Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Stopped and put some gas in today, did not top off (i try not to) went about 10 miles afterwards, made a 5 minute stop then noticed gas coming out from under the cap...I opened up the cap wiped it all down (with my shirt all i had) ran a few miles more and still coming out, have put 35 miles on since the fill up and opened the cap several times and STILL coming out...anyone know why??? is it because I just waxed the dam bike for the first time since I got it and its murphys law or the gremlins? starting to wonder since I cant run the bike low on fuel because she will stall and now cant fill her because she will leak out...how much gas do our Vulcans really want in them?????

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
had you not mention you went 35 miles with it i would say don't be so greedy at the pump... i had the same thing once when i overfilled the tank.

in your case i think it might be the seal on the cap .

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for responding tankist but I did leave out 1 other important part I think....IT WAS LEAKING WHEN I CAME TO A STOP AFTER SHUTTING OFF THE BIKE. thats the strange part of this.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Sounds like a vent that might be plugged and creating pressure. At a stop in the sun heating the tank creating psi in the tank and pushing out gas when it it leaning on the side stand. Try putting it on the center stand next time and see what happens.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still leaked....thinking of going into the yard and getting some dirt and spreading it all over the tank...maybe dirty again it will stop lmfao....but seriously I did notice a little o-ring just kinda hanging out on the little breather tit on the cap itself...dont think it should be where it was...came off easy with my fingers...It wouldnt fit down around the tube on the tank either...was this someones quick fix or is it suppose to be there....I'm confused...maybe i shouldn't have traded in the schwinn lol

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I posted this somewhere else recently...
There is supposed to be an O-ring, as well as what's called an oil seal (only on Cali bikes), going by Ron Ayers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bingo thats it....so the O-ring is suppose to fit around the tube there, I'll tell you it still is odd though...bike off for at least 30 minutes and up on center stand...I was ready to clean front wheel, looked over at tank and there was the gas, so I opened the tank,cleaned up the spillage, had tank open for a few minutes and she leaked again a minute after closing...thanks for the help time for new O-ring

·
Registered
124 Posts
this has happened to me a couple times. i quit filling it up all the way and would open up my gas cap for a few seconds when done riding. it seemed to help.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
There are also 2 O rings under the bolts that hold the cap hinge on the tank. If these are damaged, they will leak gas like crazy. (Don't ask me how I know).
They are rather small and sometimes get too compressed under the hinge.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oil seal on order, gonna pick up a new 4mm o-ring for the 1 spot, didn't even think about any being under the bolts, but that makes sense that they would be there also, so might as well change them while I'm at it, 13 years old I'm sure they've had it by now, but still strange that even at 1/2 a tank it leaks

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I don't know about CT, but when I park my bike in my garage, it fills up the garage with the smell of gas. It's the heat, and the vent is venting and very much so. So your leak doesn't surprise me. Actually, did you check your vent? Sounds like your vent is not venting. Did we already go over this?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
When the 2 O rings on my tank were leaking, it didn't matter how little fuel was in the tank. If the bike moved, the sloshing gas was enough to make it through the bolts and run down the tank.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sky Rider you win the prize...it was the 2 O-rings that are under the bolts that hold down the cap. there was only 1 of them there when I removed the cap...well the second 1 was there also but in about 200 little pieces ( no I didn't count them) I replaced them and also purchased a new oil seal for the vent tube ( heck it was only $5.25 so why not)...and leak is all gone...finally able to wax her once again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts