Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm, guessing my floats, and/or needles are stuck, but im also having petcock issues, in that it hasnt been maintained or replaced since the bike rolled off the lot. So i just ordered a new one, described as such:
New Replacement Fuel Petcock Valve for Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Motorcycles.
Vacuum Actuated petcock: Direct OEM Replacement
Prime/On/Reserve Settings.
Fits:
years 1988-2006
However the item i received is CERTAINLY not the part that is on my bike, but i hear tell around these parts that there may be a few alternates that are relatively if not wholly compatible, and i was hoping this might be the case if only to bide my time until a true replacement is found.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
If that petcock will mount and seal to the tank, it should work. Should also do away with the vacuum line, since I don't see a vac port.

The gas in the oil could easily be from the old petcock leaking through the vacuum line.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume the vacuum line is the one hooked into the right side of the petcock, that runs to a T between the carbs? im having a hard time finding a straight answer online. and is zip-tying the tube closed a sufficient doing away with? or should i find a proper plug/seal what ever that may be?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
No, the hoses with the tee are the carb vents, those need to be open but sheltered from wind, so the one end plugs into a hole in the back of either ear (if not earshaved). Wind on the vent makes the engine bog. Cut end at 45° so it can't get blocked shut against the ear.

Center port on the stock petcock is the vacuum port. That connects to a port on the side of the front carb, left side.

Ziptie won't do it, need a vacuum cap or cut a piece of hose and stick a bolt in it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, ears are definitely shaved, so I was wrong I'm sorry, the T split hose goes up under the tank and connects to the hub on the bottom. Both the black hoses that plug into the back of the petcock had gas in them when I pulled them off, and the one in the center, the brass fitting that meets the brass fitting on the carb, is the vaccuum line? Not sure that the new carb has appropriate ports still, it looks like a vacuum line and a fuel line, since the ports are different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Petcock fits though, dosent leak on or reset, and flows freely on prime, just not sure if the fuel/vac lines are compatible

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
yes, you're right. You've got a vacuum petcock with a single fuel line. The port at the bottom in your first pic is the vacuum port. So you can't plug the vac line.

There's a chance it may work with a tee on the fuel line, but I can't be sure. Some have used a tee with the PW petcocks. As long as it gets enough flow.

Did you notice gas in the vacuum line?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes definitely, and i'll be replacing it with a clear tube so i can keep an eye on it. Looks like i'll be rigging a tee and see if that will work, at least until i hear back from the seller/return. I'll keep you posted, thanks a lot for the help. hopefully this will help the engine, its been really hating first gear. Hopefully i may be able to avoid a full carb pull, but we'll see. may still need a jet/float clear, but hopefully this fixes the gas leaking issue at least.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright, it's a no go. Got it to idle beautifully for several minutes after a few fuel line configurations, and took it out for a test drive, promptly burned all the fuel from my carbs and killed it. Soo looks like I'm looking for the tw200. I may get out there and try some more line configurations while it's shipping. Damn fluid dynamics.

Update edit: TW200 still running perfectly, even squeezed a fuel filter in there just for insurance. after a day of remembering to cut your fuel just before you kill it to clear some room, you'll never forget to turn it off, it just becomes part of how you turn on/off your bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts