Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike sat in my garage for 7 years after my Father couldn't ride any longer..I began the process of getting this vulcan 750 started again and realized the gas in the tank was sludged and after a long process of starting and idling with choke on it slowly sounded better and stayed idling longer each time. After bike ran more than 20 minutes started getting oil out my exhaust with smoke and back fires... Upon closer check and after oil change I noticed gas is in my oil, and lots of it. Any word on how to get this fixed or what is actually going on here? Could it be from clogged injectors?

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
No injectors, but maybe a stuck float in a carb, and/or the petcock leaking fuel through the vacuum line on the left carb.

Welcome to the machine!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Joe Bob,

I'd like to offer a bit of advice to you if you are going to keep the bike and ride it yourself. You can take it or leave it.

I bought my second VN750 last October with only 1,432 miles on it, but I didn't feel comfortable riding it since it is a 2003 model and 17 years old. I reached out to my regular auto mechanic and he recommended that I take it to a local motorcycle mechanic he knew to get it fully serviced. Believe it or not, the bike still had the original tires from when they were installed in 2002 at the factory. I had the tires replaced, the oil changed, radiator flushed, drivetrain lubed, and brakes lines flushed. All of this was needed. The mechanic took the bike out for a test ride and found that the diaphragms in the carburetors had hardened and would not allow the carbs to function correctly. They were easy to flood and the engine would only run with partial or full choke. You have got to love those carburetors. 😄 When I picked up the bike a week later, I went ahead set up a future appointment to have the carburetors serviced. At some shops, the waiting list for service can be l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g. The mechanic said I could ride during the wait time, but recommended that I do not go on long trips alone. So, I rode local and for short trips.

Three weeks ago, I went out for a local ride and was going about 40 mph on a straight road when a vibration in the steering began. I let off the throttle, geared down, and applied front and rear brakes. Once the vibration started, I literally could not hold it on the road no matter the speed. I held on tight and coasted off the right side of the road. The vibration grew worse until the bike and I ended up in the ditch. This really caught me off guard. I had already been on the road for almost 2 hours when this occurred. I had to trailer the bike home. It was rideable, but I just didn't trust it.

So, the parts for the carburetors had arrived and I took the bike in for the carb service. I explained to the mechanic what had happened the previous week. He did remind me that my bike is 17 years old and that it had been sitting idle for the majority of its life with the full weight of the bike on the original triple tree bearings. He explained that these bearings do go bad and he highly recommended having them replaced. So, he serviced the carbs as originally planned and he replaced the triple tree bearings as recommended. When I went to pick up the bike, while sharing with me what he had done, he set the key to "Run", closed the choke just a little, and hit "Start". The bike started immediately from a cold start!! After ~40 seconds, he removed the choke fully and it began idling at just above 1000 RPM. It runs and sounds like a new bike!!! Awesome!!! The mechanic is a previous VN750 owner and said he couldn't believe how much better the bike runs, sounds and steers. He took the bike on a test ride up the road and back without any hesitation.

To be honest, ever since purchasing the bike in October, I never felt 100% comfortable riding it since I didn't know its maintenance history. Now that I have a mechanic who has gone over the bike from top to bottom, I now feel comfortable to jump on and ride anywhere at anytime. Having this peace of mind makes me really looking forward to riding it.

Yes, it cost me about $1,110 in parts and labor to achieve this comfort level, but it is well worth it to me to know I can get on it and ride without the fear of it breaking down on me.

These VN750 are peppy. They are more agile, have more torque and horsepower than a VN900. Drive and ride safe!! I wish you the best on getting yours up and running!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts