Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have an 85 vn750 and i have gas coming out of left side air filter I have drained the carbs put in some carb cleaner and let it sit for a few days then drained them again put in new gas it started right away (and it has never done that before)took it for a ride started out good lots of power then it bogged out could just get 100km out of it. So i drained the carbs again and some dirt did come out took it for another ride same thing drained again and gas looked good then gas starting to come out of air filter not just a little alot so i tapped the carb thinking a sticking float valve but it made no difference. Any other ideas what it might be would be appreciated

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do youself a favor, pull out the carbs and clean them. I had the same problem, all the seafoam in the world could not clean them. Take your time and check your float settings while in there. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
With an 85, it's probably been sitting a good deal of its life. This can cause all kinds of gunk in the carb bowls. My 93 had a similar problem. It didn't pour gas out the airfilter but it flooded out the rear cylinder so bad it wouldn't fire about 3/4 of the time. I tried Seafoam but that didn't work so I pulled the carbs. You wouldn't believe how much gummy gunk was in there.
Once you get them cleaned, the Seafoam will help keep them clean.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Yeah, bit the bullet and pull 'em, clean 'em out real good, and then use the Sea-foam to keep 'em clean afterwards. Chances are good you'll find a big chunk of something-or-other jammed in the float needle/seat, or maybe even some damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still gas coming out

Well I pulled the carbs cleaned them out they didn't seem to badly dirty put it all back together an synced them float level was fine and still the gas sems to be coming out not as much but still comes out of air breather what else could it be

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I really don't know what material your float is made out of, but is it possible to have a hole in the float??? If the float has a hole it will fill with fuel and not float. Aslo some floats are made from styro foam material and they can get saturated and also will not float.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Our floats are a hollow, hard plastic piece. It would be pretty difficult for a hole to form but it's not out of the question either.
When you cleaned the float valves and seats, did you check to see if the rubber end of the valve was deformed? This can cause it not to seat properly and therefore pass fuel. However, it has to be more than a stuck or leaking float valve because a flooding float bowl usually passes the fuel to the cylinder, not the air intake. If gas is coming out of the air filter, were the boots full of fuel when you pulled the carbs? It sounds like the air/fuel mix is not making it into the cylinder or a good part is not and is backing up into the intake. Maybe the slide assembly isn't working. Did you take the large diaphram covers off and check the diaphram for the affected cylinder? It may have holes in it which could explain your problem.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I am going by what I know on automobile carbs. Another place that the fuel can get past is at the needle sit is screwed to the carb. If the seat is loose it will leak around where the needle (float valve) seals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts