Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
young buck
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vaper locked!
The gas cap vent tube is 100% clogged anyone know how to clean it out?
I tryed blowing it with my air compresser and it's clogged tight
The tank was sealed after the owner used por-15 to remove rust
Im guessing thay let the sealer dry over the breath hole

Am I SOL or can you help me?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Can you insert a long wire. Something like a steel or real stiff type of wire up through the vent tubes? Maybe poke the sealer out that way?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i ran carb cleaner down mine then chased it with weedeater string. it's stiff enough to clear blockages and flexible enough to round the curves in the line

·
Registered
738 Posts
If all attempts to clear the blockage fail, then you might try switching the gas cap out for a '85-'87 model year. Apparently, these model year caps vent directly, not through the tank. However, I have yet to see anyone describe how. So, it would need to be verified. The other option is to modify the existing cap to vent direct. The big drawback to direct venting is that you have to be careful never to overfill the gas tank. Otherwise, it could overflow out the gas cap and directly in front of the rider.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
If all attempts to clear the blockage fail, then you might try switching the gas cap out for a '85-'87 model year. Apparently, these model year caps vent directly, not through the tank. However, I have yet to see anyone describe how. So, it would need to be verified. The other option is to modify the existing cap to vent direct. The big drawback to direct venting is that you have to be careful never to overfill the gas tank. Otherwise, it could overflow out the gas cap and directly in front of the rider.
Not true... the vent on the early gas caps has a check valve to prevent fuel spillage. as for how it works, it like any other vented gas cap for early motorcycles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts