Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my tank is 3/4 or more full, there always seems to be a trace where gas dribbled out the cap and down the side a bit (in the direction of the side stand cuz it leans that way).

I checked out the gasket and it appears okay, maybe a little dry looking but I don't know what a new one looks like. I did rub a bit of vaseline on it to hopefully soften it up and help it seal but I can see where even that sort if liquified a bit and ran down. Is this gasket something that should be replaced periodically ?

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Yes, the gasket and the cap itself are replaceable. Try replacing the gasket first, and if that doesn't solve the issue you may have to either replace the cap or possibly repair it if the cap is slightly bent somewhere, taking pressure off the gasket where the gas is running out. But more than likely the cap wouldn't be reparable, just replace it. Not sure if you can install your original lock with the new cap, or just have the new cap re-keyed to accept your original key.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem, the fuel cap gasket was fine. Turned out the two orings (p/n 92055-1023) that go under the fuel cap mount bolts were missing. Might be worth a look.
Ron.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same problem, the fuel cap gasket was fine. Turned out the two orings (p/n 92055-1023) that go under the fuel cap mount bolts were missing. Might be worth a look.
Ron.

Flyboy you were RIGHT! the one O-ring on the left was pretty much disintegrated and the one on the right (the high side) was halfway disintegrated. I am convinced this destruction occurs because of the gas with alcohol in it. This stuff is very bad for fuel systems (its verbotten in an aircaraft for this very reason!).

Fortunately I have a local station that sells only pure gasoline and that is all I have put in this tank since I bought this bike. But the damage has been done previously. I will go by the dealer tomorrow morning and try and by those O-rings.

Thanks Flyboy!

BTW... you a pilot? I am a CP-ASMEL-CFI. Haven't flown for almost a year now though (too busy working).

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
You can probably get the o-rings at Home Depot for a fraction of what the Kawi-stealer will charge you. Just take the old one size it up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the one that's left is in such bad shap I'm not sure I can match it up to anything.

But... if the dealer doesn't have the part, I'll look for something at HD or Lowes that fits the ring in the mounting bracket... thanks,

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Great find! BTW, gasahol is murder on boat engines, too. Why in the world are we stealing food from a starving world and putting in our engines when it's not even healthy for them? The government in all their wisdom must have been behind this stupidity.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
And when you factor in all the energy it takes to produce the corn, transport the corn, process the corn into alcohol, transport the alcohol.... Well, you get the picture. It is just about a break even proposition. So where is the energy savings?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly. The taxpayers subsidize all of it. Only a mentally impaired politician can get away with such idiotic logic. No need to name names you all know exactly who they are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad you found your problem Kontiki. I used black RTV type gasket maker until I could get new orings. I fly a 72 Piper Arrow but right now it's down waiting for new mufflers and a rebuilt heat shroud to come in. It's always something.
Ron

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I really appreciate the tip Flyboy. The local Kawi dealer had the O-rings... two of them cost me $5, a no brainer for me.

I have a few hundred hours in arrows (did my commercial and CFI check ride in one). Those heat shrowds are a problem on them though. I owned a Piper Comanche 250 for a few years but had to sell it two years ago when I couldn't find a good partner. What a sweet airplane, would cruise at 165 Kts at 8000 feet, I miss it.

I see you're in East. Tenn. I used to live in North Georgia and fly into Chattanooga all the time and practice instrument approaches. Those were the days!

Keep the greasy side down my friend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts