Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key won't turn my gas cap. Any recommendations on how to get that free? Also how far down does the key go before it can turn?

Blessings!
Richard

·
Registered
736 Posts
Maybe shoot a little bit of spray lube down into the mechanism. It doesn't go in very far, just enough to hide the ridges in the key

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
key goes 1/2 or slightly farther (not as far as ign).

if the lock cylinder starts to turn (tumblers in correct position), the problem is not the lock itself, but the latching mechanism. if not turning, the lock is the issue.

Lock issue. as stated already, some lube may help. use a good penetrant if you can. once you get it open, continue to the next step.

latch issue. ok, this is the biatch to fix.. as you have to get the damn cap open in order to fix it. once you get it open, remove cap (2 screws, dont loose o-rings). disassemble the latch assembly. once the latch assy is off the lock cylinder, there is a metal plate that needs to be removed, should be fairly easy to remove. under that metal plate is the problem. the gas/ethanol fumes cause corrrosion in the sliding part of the latch and the groove it rides in. remove it all, clean it up, a little grease of some sort and reassemble. While the cap is disassembled, now is a good time to also clean and lubicate the lock mechanism. use graphite lock lube for the this, after cleaning it out with the cleaner of choice.

wow, a run run run run run on paragraph.. well its early and I am not yet awake.

I just had to do the latch on mine (on monday in fact). I was lucky enough to get my key out while lock cylinder was in a position where tumblers where still correct (dont ask, it took some doing). I stuck a 3/16 (I think,might have been a little bigger) flat screwdriver into the lock, and with the added leverage that gave me, I was able to open the cap. YMMV

·
Registered
738 Posts
The cap is also under pressure from a series of small springs that push the gasket tight to the tank. The key will turn easier if you push down on the top of the cap while turning the key.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
my bike has sat in the rain for over a year and that is the failure of the lock. I have been putting some pb blaster in the key hole every once in a while to loosening it up.

Can someone send me a picture of how far that key goes in before it can turn the lock. I am not sure the key is going down far enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use pb blaster then use graphite power the problem with liquid type lubricants is they attract dust and grime causing the locking mechanisim to stick! The graphite is a dry lubricant and i guarantee it will keep it from sticking

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it open. I know people pick on me for praying over my bike, but every time I pray over it when I am stuck I get a answer. But I was getting no where fast. I used PB Blaster several times but still wasn't turning so I prayed and got a vision of hitting the rim of the lock with a special wide hammer I use in doing body work, so I tried it. Sure enough it loosened the lock.

I then did what was suggested by pressing on the cap and turning the lock. Finally unlocked. I cleaned it thoroughly and sanded down the latch on both sides and lubed it. Much easier unlocking now.

So thank you for your help. Now to do the POOG in cast that is clogged and get the dry lube to keep it lubed.

Blessings!
Richard

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
I will never pick on you for prayer. you may not believe that I'm a religious man myself

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts