Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I have a new (to me) 2002 Vulcan 750. When I filled up the tank, while riding, gas would leak out of the gas cap. I made sure that I hadn't filled it up too much...and it would continue to leak until I got under the 1/2 tank gas level. I took it to my local dealer (where I bought it) and they told me I needed a new gas cap gasket. So, I just got it installed, filled up the gas tank and drove off...lo and behold, the leak is still there despite the new gasket. I'm not particularly jazzed at having gas dribble down the tank and into my crotch. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer to look at, but I thought you all might have some suggestions?

Trooper6

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Somebody said ther was a O ring under the screws. They had them crack and leak. I don't rember who but I rember the leak.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Chad is right, there is an o-ring under each screw that mounts the cap to the tank. Mine were disintergrated, I had the same problem with the leak until about half a tank. check them before going to the dealer and if they are bad buy them at any hardware store for 5 or 10 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Speaking of gas, I bought seafoam 16oz can. How much do i put into tank for winter storage (Whats left of it) ? Do I need to run engine for it to work or is just adding to gas enough? Dead battery so wont start at the moment going to wait till spring to buy the new battery but will now if need to start for seafoam to work.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
It's best to have it through the entire fuel system.
3oz. to a tank full is what's usually used.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Thanks hyper for information. Where did u get your saddlebags and model number and how anchored to your bike?
The bags are the Moto Pak GTS60. I got them from eBay.
THIS seller always has them (as well as alot of other Moto Pak gear), and they start at 99 cents, and lately have ended up going for about $80 w/$18 shipping. I got mine from another seller for $65 w/shipping.
I did need saddlebag brackets for them, and they're mounted underneath the seat. There's zippers on them so they can be removed w/o taking the seat off.
They are different than most bags in that they open from the side, so no turnsignal relocation was needed :smiley_th
Below is a better pic of them on my bike and the brackets (I made the brackets, but any ones would work fine).....

·
Dedicated Rider
42 Posts
o-rings under gas cap

I too have the gas cap leakage problem; I tried to replace the o-rings under the screws but there is a problem with this. There is also a rubber nipple that is part of the cap venting system that also has to seal against the tank surface. It and both o-rings have to contact the tank surface simultaneously. Most hardware stores do not have metric o-rings and it is difficult to find o-rings that are the right thickness. If you don't match the thickness as well as the diameter you will not have a seal because the o-rings will prevent the nipple from sealing if they are too thick, or vice versa if they are too thin.

I eventually found the right ones and it did not solve the problem. In fact I don't know what solves this problem. Someone said the tank vent lines may be plugged. That may be but I cannot find out where they run to to check them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same issue. I replaced the 3 o-rings (2 at base of cap under screws and 1 under vent). The 2 flat washers under the screw heads were still good. I also had a crack in my vent line (under tank, remove seat), so I cut it and reattached. This seems to have solved my problem. Unfortunately, I tried the "Grambo" trick twice and that has not solved my problem. I ordered the ACCT rebuild kit from TOC manufacturing. If that fails, I will go with the TOC MCCT's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts