Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Another reason I thought there was a vent problem is that I was draining the tank into a bucket the other day when the fuel flow pretty much stopped. Thinking the tank wasn't empty, I opened the cap and the flow resumed until the tank was empty. That's what compelled me to remove the cap and check the venting per the forum advice. When the problem occurred on the last ride I thought there must be something I'd overlooked.
Draining the gas tank at a fast rate will induce POOGS like conditions, since the vent in the gas cap is very small. So small in fact as to not keep up with the sudden displacement of the quickly exiting fuel. You would need to drain the tank at a rate that the gas cap vent can compensate for to validate the gas cap vent function using this method. That could take a while. However, it only takes about 15 minutes to disassemble the gap and flush the vent line. I would redo the gas vent system clean to be sure. Another testing method is to attach a small vinyl tube to the nipple on the base of the gas cap (vent opening) and gently force air in and out of the gas cap. Remember that the vent is very small, but you may be able to induce the hissing sound (HISSING IS GOOD)! Flush the vent line using carb cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good tips! Thanks!

·
Registered
509 Posts
POOGS- Cleaned the Cap

I had POOGS on my bike. I removed the cap and cleaned it. I put the cap back on the tank. Now it lets gas splash out. I took it off to check it, but there seems to be no adjustment. What have I done wrong? Is there any adjustment in the cap?

Mcneuby

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I had POOGS on my bike. I removed the cap and cleaned it. I put the cap back on the tank. Now it lets gas splash out. I took it off to check it, but there seems to be no adjustment. What have I done wrong? Is there any adjustment in the cap?

Mcneuby
That's frightening. What part did you remove? The whole hinge assembly, or just the gasket/latch assembly attatched to the lid?

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Gas Cap

I took the whole assembly off. There are just two screws that hold the cap assembly on the tank. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment in the screws that hold the cap in place. It does not seal the opening and gas leaks out and runs down my tank. Am I missing something? Is there some adjustment? I went back and loosened it up but there appears to be no movement.

Mcneuby

·
Registered
736 Posts
I took the whole assembly off. There are just two screws that hold the cap assembly on the tank. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment in the screws that hold the cap in place. It does not seal the opening and gas leaks out and runs down my tank. Am I missing something? Is there some adjustment? I went back and loosened it up but there appears to be no movement.

Mcneuby
It sounds like the small springs (5 I believe) that press the gas cap gasket tightly to the tank are missing or it is gasket is not assembled incorrectly. Make sure that the gas cap gasket is facing the gas tank. You should be able push the gasket back onto the gas cap with a little force (resistance provide by those tiny springs). If it does not move, then something is assembled incorrectly. Remove and try again.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts