Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Because he's "Goofy"???

"POOGS" is a problem that keeps fuel from flowing... Not the other way around. Maybe if he stopped writing and started reading he'd understand this....;)
Again I know it was long and the reason for two places is I realized I wanted an answer to the gushing gas. But if you read to the end I think the reason it gushed was because I was riding hard for our honor against a heady foe (Harley dude) and the vent on my tank gave in and the pressure flow saturated the float bowl.

Making goofy sense?

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
Nope. Only thing that will cause fuel to "gush" from your carb is a stuck float or a clogged float needle. This is the only thing that shuts off fuel going to your carb while the bike is running.

The vaccum on the petcock only turns fuel flow off when the bike is not runnng.....but if it fails the float needle should still shut the fuel flow off before it overflows the carb fuel bowls.

Gas cap venting has nothing to do with over filling the float bowl.

As this all deals with the same issue, you only needed ONE thread to discuss it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys, I can't find a way to remove the orange valve, it's stuck there. My bike is a vn750 1985. I didn't try any product to make it move because of the tiny diaphragm. It's rusty and dirty in there. I tried a couple of small tools but there is not a lot of grip to remove it. Do someone have a tip to help me removing that orange valve?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey guys, I can't find a way to remove the orange valve, it's stuck there. My bike is a vn750 1985. I didn't try any product to make it move because of the tiny diaphragm. It's rusty and dirty in there. I tried a couple of small tools but there is not a lot of grip to remove it. Do someone have a tip to help me removing that orange valve?
I had the same problem.. I went to a medical supply store and got a heavy duty as I could find dental pick. That did the trick..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tanks for the help, I got it all out. I still have a problem, the second diaphragm is dead, I didn't put it back and the little gasket has a crack on it, I put it back and fit it like it was before. Can it work without the second gasket?

·
Registered
456 Posts
The way I fixed it was to remove the assembly completely and replace it with lawn mover filter material. That completely eliminated any pogs issues I was having as well as this high pressure air leak squeal I was getting From the gas cap. There is a thread here somewhere on it I just can't find it. ,I'm on the road working from my phone

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alright, I'm trying this as soon as I can, thanks. My new petcock will surely help, I'm waiting for it... I have 2 in line filters, does it matters?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would imagine not, fuel filters usually don't cause probs with gas cap venting and pogs. In my mind they would only cause problems if they get clogged,, but that world be a whole different problem.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think I like the "lawn mower filter" method to replace all that "plunger/diaphram" stuff...more info in the filter!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I will write it up when I get home tonight.

OK here it what I did

Get a high quality dental pick.
Remove the gas tank cap and take all the diaphragm stuff out with the dental pick.
Trace the shape of the cavity all the diaphragm stuff came out of on the foam filter. Cut the foam filter out with an exacto knife of something like that and put it in the cap. Don't pack the foam in too tight as it needs to breathe. Poof no more poogs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The way I did it is just like in this thread: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30721&highlight=POOG

Basically pull out all of the diaphragm valve stuff in there currently and cut piece of foam lawnmower filter to the size to fit in the hole. That's all there is to it. Been running it that way for well over a year.

The only thing that I notice happening, and it may not be related to this change at all, is when I fill up with fuel, if I go too far up the filler neck and let the bike sit it will overflow fuel through the vent hose under the bike. It may have done that before I made this change I just never really paid attention to it. But it only happens if you fill up your tank too much. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive done that too but after about 10 min of shutting it down I can walk out into the garage and smell fresh gas and hear the tank hissing. Ive once allready removed all of it and cleaned it and put it back together and still have the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
double check that vent line (small hole in the tank, just below the filler neck) that the cap covers up when closed.

that hole leads to the atmosphere vent for the tank. that vent is the metal tube at the rear end of the tank. On a non cali emissions bike, that connects to a hose that leads down infront of the goats belly to air.

this line does not need to be in dead air (unlike the carb vent), but the less turbulence, the better it probably works.

I know from experience, this rubber line can get plugged. while I didnt suffer poogs, I did have hissing and such from my tank/cap

·
Registered
609 Posts
I experienced today what I believe to be POOGS, even though just a few weeks ago I disassembled the gas cap and made sure it was clean. Also made sure the vent line at the rear of the tank was clear. I only have the problem when the gas level is at or near reserve. I have heard the hissing sound when the tank is full and the sun warms the tank. Any ideas on what I may have overlooked? Bike runs fine otherwise, one sweet running machine!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I experienced today what I believe to be POOGS, even though just a few weeks ago I disassembled the gas cap and made sure it was clean. Also made sure the vent line at the rear of the tank was clear. I only have the problem when the gas level is at or near reserve. I have heard the hissing sound when the tank is full and the sun warms the tank. Any ideas on what I may have overlooked? Bike runs fine otherwise, one sweet running machine!
This does not sound like classic POOGS because:

" I only have the problem when the gas level is at or near reserve." - POOGS usually strikes when fuel is at 1/2 tank level. This is the point that there is sufficient tank vacuum to prevent fuel flow to the carbs.

" disassembled the gas cap and made sure it was clean." - So I assume that the system is clear.

"I have heard the hissing sound when the tank is full and the sun warms the tank." - Hissing is GOOD!!! Ignore what some will say, hissing is GOOD!!! It means that the tank vent is working.

I would venture to guess that:

1. Your fuel gauge is reading high and the fuel level has fallen below the PRIMARY intake before the fuel gauge reaches Empty. Use the trip odometer to measure how may miles you've traveled before the out of gas situation. I easily go 112-121+ miles before switching reserve.
  2. Your reserve fuel pickup is plugged or the petcock RESERVE is not working (assuming that you switch to RESERVE and the bike does NOT starts). This may require pulling the petcock to clear/clean/repair.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Another reason I thought there was a vent problem is that I was draining the tank into a bucket the other day when the fuel flow pretty much stopped. Thinking the tank wasn't empty, I opened the cap and the flow resumed until the tank was empty. That's what compelled me to remove the cap and check the venting per the forum advice. When the problem occurred on the last ride I thought there must be something I'd overlooked.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts