Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Marvelous is my name.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a gas cap and key. Broke my key off in the gas cap 3 days after having the ignition switched out.
Anyone with a gas cap and key to sell?

·
Just a little mixed up...
42 Posts
Take the gas cap to a Locksmith, they should be able to get it out and fairly cheaply too. Local locksmith also tore mine down and removed 24 years worth of varnish, good as new. Cost with key was like $12.50 IIRC

·
Marvelous is my name.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the gas cap to a Locksmith, they should be able to get it out and fairly cheaply too. Local locksmith also tore mine down and removed 24 years worth of varnish, good as new. Cost with key was like $12.50 IIRC
Cool. Thank you sir. Will do this tomorrow.

·
Just a little mixed up...
42 Posts
No problem, but as with anything your mileage (cost) may vary. Some folks get greedy.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Do a search on the forum and you will find the procedure to clean the whole thing and how to key it to match your ignition. It is better than having to carry multiple keys when riding.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Do a search on the forum and you will find the procedure to clean the whole thing and how to key it to match your ignition. It is better than having to carry multiple keys when riding.
Of course, you have to gain access to the gas cap to re key it. :smiley_th

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Simple enough with a key pick and/or paper clip bent properly. Not a major problem as I have done it a few times, first for myself and then for others over the years. Worse thing that could happen is to have a lock smith do it for you. It is ususally a flat fee and pretty cheap if you can get the bike there. Also some lock smiths can make up a key from the broken portion if they have the correct blank.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ive found that finding a blank is tough though...my key was broken when I got it, tank was "open"...I pulled off the cap assy, took it apart and removed the tumblers...mine works fine now using an old key I shaved down to make a mini flat screwdriver (keep it on my keychain)...and honestly, unless you live/ride in a nasty urban area, who needs a key ?

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
If the key is still in the cap, he could take a small flat head screw driver and open it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts