Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to replace my fusebox and/or this connection?

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Phone only let me attach 1 pic at a time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I just cut off the connector and solder a new one on? Will everything still operate ok?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
The metal female connectors are just a press fit with a locking tab. If your wires are good you could just replace the metal connectors. Your plug seems to have over heated and melted. That's why I would replace yours. Your junction box looks like you have a lot of corrosion inside of it. That could cause a lot of problems.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The metal female connectors are just a press fit with a locking tab. If your wires are good you could just replace the metal connectors. Your plug seems to have over heated and melted. That's why I would replace yours. Your junction box looks like you have a lot of corrosion inside of it. That could cause a lot of problems.
First a question to David.
Are you having electrical problems with it right now?
Or is this preventative maintenance?

That 12 wire plastic connector does not look melted to me.
The bottom right side female metal terminal looks corroded/rusty and matches one of the male connectors in the fusebox/juncion box.

You could try cleaning them (both male and female contacts) with plastic safe electrical contact spray cleaner and rub with a Q-tip, wooden tooth pick, small piece of sandpaper or an old point file etc, etc, to see if it will clean up.

OR you might just need to replace one or two of the female ends on the wires, and clean male contacts as mentioned above.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problems. Just bought the bike 2 weeks ago, was going to replace battery and noticed the battery crapped all over everything, so I wanted to get it cleaned up. I just got everything unplugged and took the battery cage out. I think I'll try and clean the connectors first and see how it goes. Maybe next winter will replace the fusebox and/or connectors...

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
If there are no electrical issues I'd clean with contact solvent and use dielectric grease when I put it together. Just try to remember it if issues occur later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts