Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about the POOG symtoms that occure at low fuel intervals, my weird thing is during the ride when its poping and sputtering, if I turn on the turn signals it will correct itself inbetween signal pulses, turn if off and problem is back.....was-up wit dat?....Also is the vaccuum port on the right side carb suposed to be blocked off?, on my 85 vn 700 with ear shaved, K&N pods,and straight pipes, no goat belly, or cross over for that matter..please help..anything helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it happens as you say, it is not are normal POOGS.... which is not electrical. So I would say yours is, and may be a bad coil or a loose wire in the ignition circuit.

KM
Thanks KM,
but i can run the crap out of it in the garage and she purrs like a kitten, idles great, until I head out . Then she starts acting up, spittin, choaking and popping. All when the fuel gauge is at the top of the red, plenty. Thanks

RYNO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where would that right side vent hose go since it's been shaved.? Right now it's capped off. Should it connect back up to the "T" inbetween the carbs?, there is one side of that T that is open....also, should the vent nipple under the gas cap(by the hinge) have a recipticle or vent hose to go into ? cause right now there is nothing.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The "T" should be connected between the carbs and then off to a filter.. it should not be capped... the right side vent line needs to be capped though... if your tank has a nipple on the rear of the tank it needs a hose ran from it to under the seat and out near the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I would check you vent line. Make sure that it's not plugged and hiding away from moving air. Good spot would be filtered and put where your fresh air valve used to be under the seat.

Had the EXACT same problem (minus the turn signal anomaly) last night and this was the culprit...

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
The "T" should be connected between the carbs and then off to a filter.. it should not be capped... the right side vent line needs to be capped though...
So clock, just to clarify - you are saying the T itself should not be capped, but the right side vent hose should?

As far as I understand, the right and left side vent hoses go into the T, and then the one hose that comes off of it is supposed to go to the back of the right ear (if it were there), correct? I guess I am a little confused on this one.

:confused:

AZ Kev

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
I would check you vent line. Make sure that it's not plugged and hiding away from moving air. Good spot would be filtered and put where your fresh air valve used to be under the seat.

Had the EXACT same problem (minus the turn signal anomaly) last night and this was the culprit...
Yes, you should try an route it to someplace where there is still air. Air when the bike is moving can pass over an open hose end and change the air pressure inside the hose ( see how atomizers work ) so ... You don't want that to happen.

Up behind the steering neck under the gas tank is another good spot.

·
Registered
900 Posts
So clock, just to clarify - you are saying the T itself should not be capped, but the right side vent hose should?

As far as I understand, the right and left side vent hoses go into the T, and then the one hose that comes off of it is supposed to go to the back of the right ear (if it were there), correct? I guess I am a little confused on this one.

:confused:

AZ Kev
The T should be between the carbs.. 2 short hoses (1 from each carb) go into the T and then a long hose should go to the right ear.. this one should be filtered if you are shaved... the only one to be capped comes off of the right side carb (nipple on the outside bottom of right carb)... the hose orignaly went to the air valve under the seat but now has no where to go so it must be capped off.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Gotcha'! Thanks for the clarification.

AZ Kev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All info has been great, I love this place. So back to the gas cap and its little vent nipple underneath by the hinge, mine goes nowhere, no vent tube exiting the tank or even under the cap itself...is this the wrong cap or tank ?? rember this is an 85' vn700...

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
All info has been great, I love this place. So back to the gas cap and its little vent nipple underneath by the hinge, mine goes nowhere, no vent tube exiting the tank or even under the cap itself...is this the wrong cap or tank ?? rember this is an 85' vn700...
We recently discovered that early models have no vent hole in the tank. Guessing the caps just vent by themselves out the back?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Might I add. It is very important not to over fill the fuel tank. Over filling my tank caused gas to inter the vaume lines and cause POOGS. Pass it on.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The "T" should be connected between the carbs and then off to a filter.. it should not be capped... the right side vent line needs to be capped though... if your tank has a nipple on the rear of the tank it needs a hose ran from it to under the seat and out near the rear tire.
We're talking terminology here...
The T hose is for float chamber "vents"
The right side that gets capped after a shave is a "vacuum port"

·
Countrycuz
11 Posts
I what I read about the Vulcan backfiring and popping when cold was a man who bought one brand new and it had just those problems. the dealership tried to make out like it was his fault but in the end the mechanic in the shop was a vulcan owner who had discovered that fault was in the wiring of the motorcycle. NOW THIS IS WHAT HE SAID WAS THE PROBLEM. Kawasaki wired the ground to the battery and not the frame!!!
This sounds like an easy remedy to try on a vulcan. Run a wire from the negative battery terminal to the frame and see if that solves the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts