Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys ride your cruisers with full face helmets?

I know all about the "Image" cruisers have, but I can't bring myself to riding an open face helmet, just from the safety standpoint. Check this link:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Image:Helmet_5.jpg

It shows the percentage of impacts from post crash studies (I have no clue where from), and I think the numbers make sense. But enough about that. I ride with an Icon Alliance SSR "Bonecrusher" Full face helmet and love it to death and will never ride open face. What about you guys?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Dude,
I use an high visibility yellow HJC full face. most the time thats what i use. sometimes when im feeling frisky or Memorial day or 4th of July...i wear my easy rider helmet. It does take away from that "in your face feeling" but then again ...im trying to stay safe. I would like to save up and get a SHOEI modular high visibilty one...that would be cool.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Definitely a full face helmet. I've had enough bumble bees and beetles and things smack me in the face. I don't feel right with my old open face one.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I used to wear a FFH but it was so uncomfortable in the hot and humid Florida summer. Now I ride without a helmet and I've loved it that way for a few years now. But recently I took care of this guy in ICU who cut across 5 lanes of interstate traffic and crashed into a corvette. Broke the entire right side of his body and his FFH took a beating, but his head was untouched! His head and jaw would certainly have been mush if he wasn't wearing a FFH. Now I may start wearing mine again.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I used to wear a FFH year round, but like Rick, it get really hot and humid here in GA during the spring and summer months. I used to say I would never wear an open faced helmet, but after roasting in my FFH last summer, I now wear a DOT approved half shell on hot days because it's so much cooler while sitting traffic on the way home from work. I know the risk I'm taking and I accept that. On rainy or cold days though, I still definately wear the FF.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Surely not the smartest thing I do but I generally wear a half shell to and from work for the extra air at a stand still in the warm months and save my modular for rainy/cold days and long trips

·
Registered
409 Posts
For excellent air flow in FL humidity, look at the Bell Star helmet - they're deeply discounted here and there on-line. It's a lot of coin to drop on a helmet, but your head will thank you. I ride with one and the difference between that and my old GMAX 38 (which I also selected for it's high air flow) is like night and day in favor of the Bell.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wear a FFH HJC pretty much 98% of the time I'm riding. I admit on 95F days with high humidity, it can kind of suck sitting in traffic, but I was in a high side accident on a V-Max and was tossed and rolled 30 or so yards. Fortunately only came away with some road rash and a broken ankle, but my FFH helmet had a huge 5 inch gash right across the visor that the pavement had etched into it from the initial impact. Wearing a half shell would have seen me missing a good chunk of noise and cheek. That day sold me on two things: FFH and fully padded riding jackets. Occasionally on a close jaunt where I won't exceed 30 mph I'll go without a helmet, but otherwise I've been up and close and personal with what can happen and I'll stick with the FFH.

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
Every rider takes their chances and has to calculate the risks involved. I've been wearing a full face helmet for about 3 years now. I'm long past the age where I'm trying to impress someone by looking 'cool'. I've watched some friends fall while riding at slow speeds (less than 20mph) they tried to brace for impact with their arms but as their head came to the ground, it was chin-first.

I'm pretty lucky that here in southern Ohio we only have a short period of time where it's 90+ degrees. The humidity always seems to be pretty high. When I'm moving the full face helmet never seems too warm. I do ride with the tinted visor up most of the time so that may help. I wear perscription eyeglasses that help protect my eyes. In August when I'm stopped at a long traffic light, yep, it gets warm inside my gray bucket but I've decided that it's worth it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wear half helmets pretty much all the time, with a modular full face as back-up if I'm expecting weather.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Never ride without my Shoei RF-1000 FF, period. When it's hot, I leave the shield up for air.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
X2! Louisiana summers are hot and humid by anyone's standards. Never get on the bike without the FF on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also ride all the time with my FFH here in Mexico city. Yeah it's a PITA been stuck in traffic midday sweating in my helmet but still fell much safer. Here you see almost all bikers without helmets so you get to see some very nasty accidents.
Not interested in ending as road kill.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a modular FFH(modular is the best when you wear glasses!) and I would never leave the house without it. I live at the bottom of florida so I get most of the humidity and heat but I don't care, I'd rather sweat my ass off than have my brain and chin turn to mush. Ya know? :p

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
I ALWAYS wear my HJC FFH, too much can happen unexpectedly. Thankful every time a big bug hits my head but the clincher was a not-very-little rock that flew up from a truck on the highway that put a nice little nick in the chin-guard. If I'd had anything else on would have gashed my chin/throat pretty good.

Have thought about getting a 3/4 for boulevarding at rallies, etc., but just raise my visor all the way or just a notch or two when it's hot. Always wear my leather jacket/gloves as well. Guess I'd rather be sweaty and alive than comfortably dead....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Believe it or not I wear a full face most of the time.Or nothing at all,no excuses.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
CL-SP FFH is what I own and wear. It may get hot sometimes, and an open face would take care of that to a degree, but I'm dressed for the crash. Considering the percentages, and that my jaw area/face would hit the ground first, I want it protected as much as my skull.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
i've always used a 3/4 helmet since about 1970. and in the times i hit the ground it was always on the top or back of my head. then i got a Shoei RF1000 last year because a friend had a bad accident and i guess i was shook enough to think i needed more protection. (got my first jacket with armor also). But i'm not liking it much. i may be safer, but i feel less safe since i can't hear or see whats around me as well. so i'm considering getting a Nolan N43 Trilogy, which seems to do it all and i can take off the chin guard when i feel like using a 3/4. plus it has an internal slide up sun shield.

the police always use a 3/4 helmet or even a 1/2 helmet. anybody know if they use a particular brand?

·
Registered
62 Posts
ffh is the only style i wear. i own a skid lid and it looks ok hangin off the throttle grip when parked in my garage but it just feels wrong if i put it on. like riding naked. also never ride in shorts, tennis shoes or sleeveless shirts. learned that lesson going over the ablemoro sound bridge on a ride to kittyhawk years ago. like riding thru a sandblaster.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Every rider takes their chances and has to calculate the risks involved. I've been wearing a full face helmet for about 3 years now. I'm long past the age where I'm trying to impress someone by looking 'cool'. I've watched some friends fall while riding at slow speeds (less than 20mph) they tried to brace for impact with their arms but as their head came to the ground, it was chin-first.
Same here on both counts. 100% of the time I wear FFH and gloves. Having come off the bike myself at low speeds I will also add that wearing gloves - real padded motorcycle gloves - are also a must. You WILL stick out your hands to try to catch yourself if you come off, and you WILL very likely lose skin on the palms and fingers of your hands without gloves.

Most of the time I also wear a padded-armor riding jacket and overpants with knee/shin guard armor, except for some short in-town trips or really, really hot days... In which case I still have a textile mesh motorcycle jacket.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts