Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Don't quote me on it, but it should. Pretty much the same bike.

Someone else will probably chime in here soon to either confirm or correct me on this.

·
Registered
738 Posts
No need for duplicate posts. Here is my response to your other post.

It may fit, but there have been several threads that suggest there may be no gas cap vent line in the '85-'87 model gas tanks. Verify that the replacement tank has a gas cap vent line running inside the gas tank with an exit nipple toward the back (hidden under the front of the seat). Non-CA models will have one nipple and CA models may have 2 nipples. You need the right tank to properly vent the gas tank.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Actualy, you can use the 700 tank... Just coaster the reed valves to remove emission junk. The tank vents through only the cap on the VN 700, but this wont keep it from not working. Just use the VN700 gas cap.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
No need for duplicate posts. Here is my response to your other post.

It may fit, but there have been several threads that suggest there may be no gas cap vent line in the '85-'87 model gas tanks. Verify that the replacement tank has a gas cap vent line running inside the gas tank with an exit nipple toward the back (hidden under the front of the seat). Non-CA models will have one nipple and CA models may have 2 nipples. You need the right tank to properly vent the gas tank.
I was just looking at an `85 or `86 model tank on Ebay last night and confirmed that it did not have any vent nipples sticking out the back end. But according to slim`s post above, it will vent just through the filler cap vent.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was just looking at an `85 or `86 model tank on Ebay last night and confirmed that it did not have any vent nipples sticking out the back end. But according to slim`s post above, it will vent just through the filler cap vent.
This is a duplicate thread both are taking on a life of there own. Below is my response in the other thread;

Apparently, the '85-'87 model gas cap vent system vents directly (although no one seems to know how), while on later models it vents through a tube in the gas tank, under the seat and out a rubber vent tube. So, using an '85 gas cap on an '85 gas tank should be fine.

However, I assumed that the original poster would use the 2000 model year gas cap on the '85 model year gas tank to retain the use of a single key for ignition/gas cap. Swapping out the key cylinder from the 2000 gas cap to the '85 is another option, if the '85 cap is available.

Does any know if a later model gas cap, designed to vent through the tube in the gas tank, will work on an '85 tank which is designed to vent directly?​
Additionally, does any one know how the '85-'87 vent system works?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have an 85 and it has vent nipples sticking out the back of the tank.
That`s interesting L2fish.

The ad says this tank is off an `86 model. It does not have any visible vent nipples.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN-750-Gas-Tank-VN750-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3caeabb9e5QQitemZ260628527589QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

1 - 10 of 10 Posts